JAinVA

Rustoleum paint

JAinVA

Some you may have experience with Rustoleum hammered paint but in case you don't it may be worth a look.You are not going to paint a WH with it,I hope, but for some of our equipment I think it is something to try.I just painted a vise with it and for something as old and abused it looks new.I bought a rattle can of it at Wally World to try, as I got a quart to do another job and was curious to it's performance.It covers imperfections amazingly,as advertised.I don't know how well it will last but it is a name brand product and so far thumbs up.Luck,JAinVa

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 7

elcamino/wheelhorse

Where are the pictures?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
1 hour ago, JAinVA said:

Some you may have experience with Rustoleum hammered paint but in case you don't it may be worth a look.You are not going to paint a WH with it,I hope, but for some of our equipment I think it is something to try.I just painted a vise with it and for something as old and abused it looks new.I bought a rattle can of it at Wally World to try, as I got a quart to do another job and was curious to it's performance.It covers imperfections amazingly,as advertised.I don't know how well it will last but it is a name brand product and so far thumbs up.Luck,JAinVa

look in other brands at my sears thread. i used verde green hammered on it. i use quick light coats on it and it does not show the hammered look has much. i messed up on my blower housing and it shows the hammered look more than anything but i dont have pics of it.

953 nut
7 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Where are the pictures?

:wwp:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AMC RULES

:text-worthless:

:dunno:  Somebody had to do it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JAinVA

It never occurred to me that anyone would want to see pictures of a twenty year old bench vise.I will post some pictures in the near future.

• Like 1

JAinVA

As requested some pictures.

vise 2.jpg

vise 1.jpg

• Excellent 8

elcamino/wheelhorse

That looks real nice . Let us know how it holds up when you use a BFH on the anvil and it misses the object you want to hit.

JAinVA

I wasn't looking to make this thing a show piece.I just wanted to test the paint as I had never used this type before.There isn't a lot of color choices but anything is better than rust. 

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@JAinVA Don't hear from you much on the Forum so I had to pull your chain. Enjoy the rainy Sunday that we are having tomorrow.

• Like 1

Cvans

Did that vice originally rotate? If so why did you weld it solid?

That paint did an impressive job on your vice. Thanks for the tip!

JAinVA

The vise did rotate but I could never get it to stay rigid enough in any postion.It just had two screws clamping on the barrel.I  got fed up with the constant slipping and welded it in its current location.Its a cheap vise but I could get it locally.I really would rather have a Wilton bench vise but shipping is to expensive to justify.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@JAinVA You need to visit flea markets, I shoot you a picture of the beast tomorrow.  I got for $40.00 

Elkskin's mower junkyard
22 hours ago, JAinVA said:

The vise did rotate but I could never get it to stay rigid enough in any postion.It just had two screws clamping on the barrel.I  got fed up with the constant slipping and welded it in its current location.Its a cheap vise but I could get it locally.I really would rather have a Wilton bench vise but shipping is to expensive to justify.

keep eye out on yard sales lol. i got 2 medium size vises i use and they work really good i dont know what brand they are but they are older than dirt i know that much

• Like 1

Cvans

I have a couple of rotating vices and really like them. They are a different brand though. If they slipped like yours I would have done the same thing you did. 

elcamino/wheelhorse

@JAinVA here are pictures of my $40.00 vice , love the flea market in Blair Co Pa.  Don't look at the mess on the workbench. I think the bench is there under the piles.

100_6114.JPG

100_6115.JPG

100_6116.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

JAinVA

Nice find Jim.Now for a rattle can paint job.If I could have found one that good when I was looking for a vise, I would have snapped it up.Junk on the bench makes me feel at home.LOL.Luck,JimAnderson

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

It will have paint on it as time goes by, probably will be many different colors.

• Like 1

Sarge

I can't believe the market prices on some of those old bench vises - wish I had grabbed every one I ever saw in the scrap piles at the local yards back in the day when iron was high in value . Wilton bullets , Parkers , Rock Island , ect all bring top dollar in good shape now . In comparison to what is available today and their cost - well worth keeping your eyes peeled out there . I have a tactic for stuff like that - have friends and especially a couple of sister in laws that hit the garage sales pretty often across a wide area - show them some pictures of things to keep an eye out for - they will usually find it .

Sarge

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

We will be heading back to PA for the Christmas holidays stash of cash willed be saved for the Flea Market , It is held in inside during the winter so it is smaller , but from April to end of October it covers about 5 acres outside. Gotten some great tools , etc over the years.

ebinmaine
On 10/28/2017 at 9:18 AM, AMC RULES said:

:text-worthless:

:dunno:  Somebody had to do it. 

Ya got me good there Craig....

Settin in a Freightliner drinking milk and chuckling.... a good day.

:ROTF:

• Like 1