elcamino/wheelhorse

Power Steering pump help

WVHillbilly520H
2 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@squonk (skonk) and @WVHillbilly520H That is what I thought , the last time I went to check the fluid , the cap pull up without coming off , then " she who must be obeyed " called me in the house and my  one brain cell slipped a cog and I did not remember the cap until this afternoon when I was not working on a :wh: or the El . A new cap and a lot of cleaning ( hope the pressure washer still works) in my week to come. Some times it is nice to be retired . Thanks guys. 

Purple Power spray or Simple Green let soak in then a cheap medium bristle brush and a garden hose will get a lot of that gunk off there if the pressure washer don't want to fire up.

elcamino/wheelhorse
2 minutes ago, squonk said:

Just don't get your suspenders caught in the fan or the hood latch! :ROTF:

I clean the car in the nude don't want dirt and grease my suspenders .

• Haha 2

squonk
22 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I clean the car in the nude don't want dirt and grease my suspenders .

But you would still neef the suspenders! :bow-blue:

• Haha 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@WVHillbilly520H Well Jeff the continuing story of the El Camino blues. Replaced the battery this weekend ( it had out lived its useful life ) .Went to Advance free install , pulled the old battery and the tray ( installed about 4 years ago ) was completely eaten up by rust. Ordered a new one. Trying to remove the old tray was a B_ _ _ _ H . Still have one bolt to remove. Removal has run about 5 hours even with grinder and a lot of cussing. New tray arrived yesterday , looked and it had a scratch which went all the way to bare metal, No primer and one extremely thin coat of black. Sanded it all down , 3 coats of primer , 3 coats of black frame paint and tomorrow a couple of coats of clear coat. I may put a plastic battery box in the tray. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
35 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

tray ( installed about 4 years ago ) was completely eaten up by rust.

I looked on Google for a prevention for battery tray rust but couldn't find it.

I remember hearing years ago about alternative crazy things to stop that from happening so quickly but they may have all been mythbusted out of existence. ...

elcamino/wheelhorse

I think the whole problem is everything is build out of cheap C _ _ p  now. The first tray lasted from 1984 to 2013 so that says something. Although GM cars in the 80's could have better build. Still haven't cleaned the engine bay from the great power steering fluid mystery. Hopefully tomorrow until the power washer C _ _ps out.

WVHillbilly520H

Try one of these...

Screenshot_20171103-182440.png

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I tried that mat and all it did was retain moisture . I live so close to the James River and a large creek that runs into it , it is like humidity central here.  I don't think the mat works that great. I have measured the tray and battery am going to try to purchase a plastic battery box. Purchased Stain steel bolts , nuts and washers today for the project. Still have one !@#$^&*()__ rusted bolt to remove.

squonk
2 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I retain moisture . it is like humidity central here

Well that explains a lot! :)

Jim, was it rust or corrosion? As batteries age they have a tendency to out gas and eat everything around it. 

elcamino/wheelhorse

It was just rust . If I need to add water to a battery I always clean everything off with a mixture of backing soda and water .

squonk

Had a K Car towed into the shop once. No start.  There was no spark. Spark computer was right next  to the battery. Spark box was made of plastic. Battery gas ate the circuit boards right out of it. :)

• Sad 1

Sarge

One of the best things I've learned in the 4x4 world is to use a spacer under the battery - using a winch or other very high drain equipment causes acidic gasses to migrate to the battery tray . We cut or drill vents in ours and make up some phenolic spacers to raise the battery bottom about 1/2" off the tray - the trays won't rust out that way and it allows the engine fan to clear out those gasses easier instead of trapping them with moisture - which turns it back into sulfuric acid quickly . The mats and such just pick up the moisture and gas and cause corrosion faster than if you left it bare - those acids will even eat certain grades of stainless steel . Powder coat the tray properly and vent the bottom a bit and leave a space under the battery - it won't rot out again .

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1