Bill D

Rock Shaft Removal

Bill D

My father has decided he wants to convert his 312-8 from a manual to electric lift using the parts from a 417-8 I picked up.  Does anyone have any tricks for getting the rock shafts apart?  The hitch pins came out easy enough but the lever that the chain connects to is rusted and won't move.  Any ideas are appreciated.  Thanks.

Bill

pacer

Ive been refurbing a 414-8 and wanted to take it completely apart to kill the rust but when I got to the rock shaft I had to holler 'UNCLE' I fooled with that thing for 3-4 hrs and made NO head way! ( I too did get the pins out - didnt help a bit!) Finally decided the rust wasnt all that bad after all:ranting: Guess well have to add the rock shaft to the 'frustration' points -- axle hubs and steer wheels!:blink:

• Like 1

953 nut

Tight fitting sleeve over shaft once rusted they become inseparable. A lot of heating with a torch is the only answer. once it is red hot all the way it should come off the shaft. Be sure to put some Never-seize on it when assembling.

• Like 2

doc724

I use Kroil as my solution for tough parts removal.  Four assemblies fall into this "tough" category:  Hubs, steering wheels, rear hitches and rock shafts.  Spray the living snot out of the interface.  Repeat for 4 days and then try tapping it apart.  If this does not work, hit it with a torch, but not red hot and let the Kroil wick in as the materials expand.  Be careful, Kroil is flammable.  BTW, do not try the torch idea on a steering wheel

Yes, Kroil is expensive, about 3x of PB Blaster but well worth it.  Haven't trashed a steering wheel yet and I have taken 5 of them off without disassembling the tractor.  Hard to find.  Order from the factory, they run a special once a year, two 12 oz (I think) cans for $19.99

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

I plan on converting my 416-8 to electric lift so I think I start spraying PB on it now . May not get to conversion until spring so spraying PB all winter may work.

• Like 1

953 nut
57 minutes ago, doc724 said:

do not try the torch idea on a steering wheel

I have heated the shaft under the steering wheel and allow the heat to migrate up to the wheel hub, then apply paraffin from the top side. Works good.

• Thanks 1

cleat

One of my 520's had a rock shaft seized on so bad the only way I finally got it was to cut the shaft on one side to get it out.

I put it into a 20 ton press then heated and pressed at the same time until the shaft finally broke loose and began to move.

I needed a new shaft at this point but found one on ebay.

As 953NUT said, clean shaft and rock shaft until they slide together nicely and apply never seize.

It should just slide apart next time.

• Like 2