Bttatro

7hp tecumseh won't start

Bttatro

I have a 7hp tecumseh pull start on my tractor and it was running and driving for the first time in several years this summer.   Now I can't get it to start at all.   The plug was fouled so I replaced it.   I also cleaned the carb really well.   I am getting spark, but even with sharing fluid it won't fire.  What am I missing?   What should I try? 

I am using premium gas and the gas line is also new and the filter in the tank looks good also. 

Any help would be appreciated! 

Edited by Bttatro

KC9KAS

Maybe the key is bent or even sheered. You would get "spark" but the timing would be off and it wouldn't "fire". 

I had that happen with a HH60 on a 654.

• Like 2

pfrederi

:text-yeahthat:

Pull off the recoil start.  You can usually see the keyway groove in the crank and the flywheel ...they should be perfectly aligned.

Also remove the plug and turn the engine over with your finger on the plug hole, you should feel compression, stuck valve and/or compression release failure are also possibilities

• Like 2

KC9KAS

@Bttatro Be sure to let us know what you find out!

Bttatro

I will try to get at it tomorrow,  if not I took a week off work,  so I should get to it soon. 

Retired Wrencher

Bttatro it is like  KC9KAS  said the key way is very important to the timing. I have the # for it if you need it. Timing is easy also  as long as you have a magnetic base for the dial gage. I have the process for that also if needed. Good luck and enjoy the project. 

Bttatro

@Retierd Wrencher Any info you have would be great.  

Thanks everyone. 

stevasaurus

My 502 with the pull start was hard starting after it sat for a few weeks.  Got tired of pulling on the cord.  I got the feeling if I could pull it longer and harder, it would start.  I lined up my 857 to the 502...face to face, and off set so the engine pulleys lined up.  Used a long fanbelt and figure 8ed it between the pulleys.  With the 857 running, I just had to push the horses apart to tighten the belt and the 857 was cranking the 502.  It didn't really take much doing that to get it started, but it sure saved on my arm.  If I started that 502 everyday or so, it would start with about 2 pulls.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Retired Wrencher
19 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

My 502 with the pull start was hard starting after it sat for a few weeks.  Got tired of pulling on the cord.  I got the feeling if I could pull it longer and harder, it would start.  I lined up my 857 to the 502...face to face, and off set so the engine pulleys lined up.  Used a long fanbelt and figure 8ed it between the pulleys.  With the 857 running, I just had to push the horses apart to tighten the belt and the 857 was cranking the 502.  It didn't really take much doing that to get it started, but it sure saved on my arm.  If I started that 502 everyday or so, it would start with about 2 pulls.  :occasion-xmas:

I agree with that Steve You told me that a while back when I had the 606/607 and the 657 I started them a few times a week made a difference. The 606 and7. where 1or2 pulls with new key ways and Timing was dead on.  Bttatro  It is raining today so a good day to help you out.

• Like 2

squonk
20 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

:wwp: :)

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Bttatro  I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions. Dis regard this>>> MVI_0780.MOVMVI_0780.MOVI did not get all the #`s let me know what you would like to see I will redo them.>>>>>MVI_0780.MOVMVI_0780.MOV.

IMG_0779.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0788.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG