Elkskin's mower junkyard

frame swapping a sears ss14

Elkskin's mower junkyard

So i been working my 1971 Sears suburban 14 to death. well i been noticing that the plow has never really lifted high on it. so i got to looking and seen my mule drive slot is ate up. this tractor seen no mowing. just plowing snow moving dirt and use of 3 point ever since new according to previous owners. so i had a spare tractor laying around that i picked up a couple years ago. a early model 1971 sears ss14. so i took it apart and am in process of taking the subuirban 14 apart. and just to get some of the jd green someone put on it off i am repainting the tractor. it wont be a perfect job just something to make it look better and protect it through winter since it will be my main plow machine. the way i have the sears suburban setup its a beast in snow but i will put the turfs back on i think (a set of 23-9.50-12 sears turfs from a retired sears). Now i got 2 style of plows. the black plow in picture is newer style for sears suburbans and it is not has strong has the older plows. the older nontrip plow i do not like running in winter time. but i did crack a weld on that plow for like the 3rd time lol. tomorrow i hope to paint footrests, front axle, mule drive cover, grill. then possibly saterday or sunday start assembly.

1026171251-00.jpg

1026171547-00.jpg

1026171551-00.jpg

1026171551-01.jpg

1026171723-00.jpg

• Like 3

Notfishin

looking good

• Like 1

Rob R

Nice work let me know if you have questions or perhaps need some parts, I have rebuilt at least four of them. Latest was the SS15.  I also rebuild the drag links (steering mechanism) as they are probably the most likely item to fail. 

Sears Suburban SS15 B&S 8 Speed (1).JPG

Sears Suburban SS15 B&S 8 Speed (2).JPG

Sears Suburban SS15 B&S 8 Speed (3).JPG

Sears Suburban SS15 (2).JPG

Sears Suburban SS15 (3).JPG

Sears Suburban SS15 (4).JPG

Sears Suburban SS15 (5).JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Elkskin's mower junkyard
2 hours ago, Rob R said:

Nice work let me know if you have questions or perhaps need some parts, I have rebuilt at least four of them. Latest was the SS15.  I also rebuild the drag links (steering mechanism) as they are probably the most likely item to fail. 

Sears Suburban SS15 B&S 8 Speed (1).JPG

Sears Suburban SS15 B&S 8 Speed (2).JPG

Sears Suburban SS15 B&S 8 Speed (3).JPG

Sears Suburban SS15 (2).JPG

Sears Suburban SS15 (3).JPG

Sears Suburban SS15 (4).JPG

Sears Suburban SS15 (5).JPG

dang. eventually i will be looking for another set of fenders. but that will be a while. heres a 1972 suburban 15 i done a few years ago. One thing i didnt like about this paint job is the white on hood runs when it gets wet. sooooo i will stay away from the touch n tone paint lol

535751_571343036240125_341718279_n.jpg

10647061_862904627083963_7138857035259335488_n.jpg

Edited by craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Like 1

Rob R
22 hours ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

dang. eventually i will be looking for another set of fenders. but that will be a while. heres a 1972 suburban 15 i done a few years ago. One thing i didnt like about this paint job is the white on hood runs when it gets wet. sooooo i will stay away from the touch n tone paint lol

535751_571343036240125_341718279_n.jpg

10647061_862904627083963_7138857035259335488_n.jpg

I have a spare set of fenders would have to dig them out and see what shape they are in.... if I remember correctly not too bad. p.s. I use almond rustoleum for all my white areas.... I brush-on a base coat let it dry a bit and then topcoat with the matching color via rattle can.... works wonderful and lasts a long time 

Elkskin's mower junkyard
4 hours ago, Rob R said:

I have a spare set of fenders would have to dig them out and see what shape they are in.... if I remember correctly not too bad. p.s. I use almond rustoleum for all my white areas.... I brush-on a base coat let it dry a bit and then topcoat with the matching color via rattle can.... works wonderful and lasts a long time 

all my white is gloss white from rustoleum now 

• Like 1

queen of spades

Long shot here but do you have details on rebuilding or replacing the steering drag link that goes from the steering shaft to the front of the tractor? Non-greasable fittings mean most of them are either already worn out and/or came apart or will soon.

I tried making one from aluminum threaded hollow pipe + new ball joints, but it's hard to bend aluminum, and the unit likes to rotate around on the ball ends causing steering to lightly bind in one direction.

I carried the old oem Sears part to two local machine shops both quoted around 300-400 to reproduce. That's more than most these tractors are worth.

Rob R

I rebuild them myself, driling out the center of the broke one welding the old ball into the hole and threading on new ball joint from ebay..... works great, i have never had a repaired one break and if it does just thread on a new one. I made a cardboard replica of the old one so I get the length of the new one exact. 

D_Mac

So several months ago I went to go look at this Sears. A good friend of mine went with me. He had been wanting to get an older garden tractor of his own but never had one. Turns out this Sears spoke to him and he really wanted it. So I passed on it so he could get it. We loaded it up and brought it to his house. Unfortunately he hasn't made much progress on it.pulled the carb and tank. Tank has holes he is looking for a new one. Going to rebuild the carb. Does have spark. He isn't going for a full restoration,  just wants it running and driving to put it to work. Tractor sat for 20 yrs. Came with deck and blower. 

20230108_144114.jpg

20230108_144130.jpg

8ntruck

Did Roper build those for Sears?

Edited by 8ntruck

Rob R

Yes they were built by Roper for Sears I am a Wheel Horse comrade but also love these machines I have rebuilt and passed on at least four of them and have held on to my SS15 they are tough well built and honestly have the most and easiest equipment swapping line available IMHO. Only thing bad is the CDI electronic ignition which was great back when they were created 50 years ago but now they have aging capacitors and are prone to failure. You can upgrade to a Chryslet or GM module but this will set you back north of $125.  

Wheel-N-It

I think all Wheel Horse guys should try at least one Sears tractor during the course of their collecting. 

The Sears tractor made me appreciate the Wheel Horse more, yet at the same time the Wheel Horse made me appreciate the Sears more. It was a good experience.

• Like 1