Sign in to follow this  
Bakerb9

Piston Rod - '66 Wheel Horse 656

Bakerb9

:crying-yellow:My piston rod broke! I have no idea where to even find a replacement. Anyone have places they go to find parts for these? 

IMG_0649.jpg

Sarge

A little more info would be helpful although it appears to be a Kohler rod - need an engine model number along with the specification and serial numbers to get the right parts . From that much damage the crankshaft and other parts may need replacement as well . Unless you have the experience and tools to do it right , this is best left to a good engine shop .

Sarge

Fordiesel69

What engine?  I dont know those wheel horse models very well, but I assume by looking at the rod and piston it is a tecumseh H60 or something similar.  If engine block is made of cast iron, it may be an HH60.

If engine is an aluminum block tecumseh, honestly it is not worth rebuilding, even though the parts are rather cheap.  To get the crankshaft machined (which you will need to do) and possibly have cylinder bored over, it would be all money down the drain.......

If engine is cast iron tecumseh, yes it would be worth rebuilding if you find the parts (I dont know as those are harder to find).   

Fordiesel69

You may be better off getting this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tecumseh-Engine-Short-Block-6-hp-Mod-HH60/263255473278?hash=item3d4b3fbc7e%3Ag%3A~u4AAOSwb-tZ2~YX&_trkparms=pageci%3A38d6405a-ba4e-11e7-b335-74dbd1800431%7Cparentrq%3A58c8d5a615f0a9c4351a8599fffd1de3%7Ciid%3A3

I confirmed it is a HH60 cast iron tecumseh.  There is a rebuild kit for $94 on ebay but it is only avail in STD size, you will likely need .010 / .010 which I cannot find.  Replacement is probably more wise. 

Bakerb9

It's a Tecumseh HH60. I think I found a replacement rod for it online but that full engine on eBay is intriguing. Thanks

Fordiesel69

Trust us, you will not have good success putting new parts into your engine without having it machined and inspected.  It will just eat the new rod. 

Bakerb9

Aside from buying a used replacement from eBay, is there a compatible engine that I could do a full engine swap? 

Fordiesel69

If you could buy a complete Kohler K181 with a starter generator, that would be a direct swap, minus the throttle and choke cable (may) need to be swapped.  

Honestly the engine on ebay sounds like a good option assuming it is good inside and not wore out.  Tractor would stay original, and minimize your work.

Assuming you did not want it original and just want to use it, a harbor freight predator will work as there is no PTO disc on your engine.  It would be a simple swap but destroy the originality of the tractor.  

• Like 1