BOB ELLISON

unleaded gas

WVHillbilly520H

Here's some food for thought, ain't knocking Seafoam but you can use it in the fuel (gas or diesel), in the crankcase with your oil, but if you really want to clean your fuel system components try Berryman B12 at half the cost it's 70% or more solvents, a cheap experiment take plastic or styrofoam cups pour small amounts B12 and Seafoam in them and see which one eats through them first that's the one that will clean the varnish/gum out of your fuel system first as both cups are petroleum by products just like the varnish/gum in a carb ect, and lots of guys around here in the old car/tractor hobby use Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel and crankcase IDK but they swear by it, also for decarboning some use the spray bottle of water misting through the carburetor while running to help break up the carbon deposits on the back of the valves and piston tops I've actually been witness to this on a '63 Impala 409 and what I seen coming out the tailpipes was nasty but it ran so much better after the water misting, anyways I use non ethanol 93 plus a few ounces of B12 in my WH tanks as well as my ATV so far so good, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sarge

If you use 2-stroke oil by Stihl it has some very good fuel stabilizers in it and is highly proven to make a big difference with the modern ethanol-laced fuel - I use that mix oil in Stihl blower/vac and have never had one issue starting that engine - carb is clean as was new despite quite a few hours of long running times on it . I don't hesitate to leave the fuel in it over the winter and on occasion will use the blower to clear light snow fall off vehicles/drives so it does get started a few times . I think the biggest thing is to avoid ethanol - it is a highly corrosive additive .

I have not seen Shell V-Power 93 octane that is not 10% ethanol added available for quite a few years now - they made the switch here about 8yrs ago . I've been using FS 91 octane non-ethanol as well as the 91 octane from Hy-Vee's fuel stores - both with good results . Best fuel I've found as to not wrecking carbs/fuel lines/pumps/tanks is Phillips 66 91 octane non-ethanol premium . Hemi gets averaged 5-6mpg better mileage on it as well and has a much smoother idle . I tried the Shell V-Power awhile back when the truck got low far away from home and it ran like crap the whole tank - would hardly even try to run in Eco mode on the MDS system - took nearly a tank and a half to get it right again on the Phillips fuel the following week .

If the non-ethanol fuel becomes unavailable around here guess I'll buy a Horse and a goat - and start walking a lot more . Can't even described how much I hate ethanol and I am so sick of repairing equipment brought here from the result of using the stuff - it really should be dropped from the market .

Sarge

• Excellent 1

Skipper

Glad it is not just in my head it's helping then ;-)

But if the fix is literally as easy as just adding a splash of 2 stroke oil, then why not just do that instead of being on the hunt for a dying race of fuel. ?

Lets face it. Old school gas will soon be a thing of the past. Whether we like it or not. So better focus the energy on finding an easy fix IMO, and of the different choices of stabilizers and solvents people use, I for one feel much better about a little splash of 2 stroke oil than the alternatives.

Oh and by the way. This is just me trying to ruin a good hate moment on the lobbyists :P

• Excellent 1

Sarge

My issue with the ethanol marketing is two things - it's taking food off the world market and we're using our tax money here to pay for subsidies they get from our government . Yes , we are paying in tax dollars to destroy our equipment , pretty sick thought if you ask me . Not to mention the pollution issues and potential spills from accidents - we've had several large ones in my area in the last year with both rail cars and truck tankers . A spill costs a lot in potential contamination to the local environment and can destroy local water shed areas permanently - it is very serious to deal with it when it hits the ground as it spreads very quickly and penetrates the earth . For something that comes from a plant it sure kills off vegetation in a hurry and requires a lot of contaminated soils to be removed as well .

The two stroke oil will tamp down the corrosive effects - yes . It's stabilizers , or at least the stuff from Stihl is very good - but it is still corrosive and over time will damage the carb/pump/lines/tanks - just at a slower rate . So , really - it's not a solution . The only real solution is to go with another bio fuel additive or run pure gas . In the US - the only thing ethanol does is make someone a lot of money with very little actually helping the farmers that grow the crops . There is an extra cost as well to our infrastructure in road traffic that is moving the grain - with the increase in acreage to supply this market it has almost doubled the truck traffic and damage to roads that are already badly in need of upgrading and there is no tax recovery to pay for those upgrades and repairs - that burden is placed on the taxpayers instead . The list goes on and on - other than making some people that own the facilities a lot of money the stuff just doesn't belong in the market .

Rant off , lol .

Sarge

• Like 1