FDSJr

Conversion of mulching deck to standard deck

FDSJr

I have a 42" rear discharge deck (78350) with a mulching attachment / recycling kit (86001).  Has anyone successfully converted this deck to a standard rear discharge deck?  I realize that I will have to remove the massively heavy recycling kit, but is there anything else that must be done?  Will the same blades work or will I need different blades?  Thanks for any advice / assistance.

IMG_2335.JPG

• Confused 1

Lee1977

The blades over lap now or you would have two unmowed  strips. Use the same blades.

skrusins

I've taken out the mulching kit on my 42recycler for over 3 years with no problem. Didn't change anything else.

I thing it had 4 bolts.

Edited by skrusins
wanted to add to it

grinchsr
11 hours ago, skrusins said:

I've taken out the mulching kit on my 42recycler for over 3 years with no problem. Didn't change anything else.

I thing it had 4 bolts.

I had clippings getting trapped above mine so I removed it before the deck shell started to rust away.  The kit weighed more than I do

FDSJr

I have taken the mulching kit out several times for cleaning.  I agree - that thing is HEAVY!!.  I have never tried mowing without it, though.  It is good to hear that others have tried it and the results have been good.  As for the blades, the current blades in it are PN 106635, which are what is specified by the parts manual for the 78350 deck.  The blades are 13 7/8 long.  I also have a couple of 42" side discharge decks (model 78345).  The blades specified for them are PN 106636, which are 14 1/2 long.  Since both are 42" decks, the length difference must be due to some dimensional differences of the deck itself, which I haven't really investigated.  I will remove the massive mulching kit, stick with the same blades, and see how it works.  Probably won't do that until next mowing season, though.  Thanks very much for the comments and assistance.

CasualObserver
1 hour ago, FDSJr said:

The blades are 13 7/8 long.  I also have a couple of 42" side discharge decks (model 78345).  The blades specified for them are PN 106636, which are 14 1/2 long.  Since both are 42" decks, the length difference must be due to some dimensional differences of the deck itself, which I haven't really investigated.

That is interesting... I don't have a mulching kit, so I can't say anything for sure.  But on just the math.....    giphy (1).gif   14" x 3 blades = 42".  Using 3 blades at 13-7/8 would only equal a 41-5/8 cut if laid to perfectly cover with no overlap.  Perhaps the mulching kit relies on a little bit of vacuum to cut the extra 1/8" on each blade?

FDSJr

True.  3 X 13-7/8 = 41-5/8.  That's for the 42" rear discharge deck.  On the other hand, the 42" side discharge deck is 3 x 14-1/2 = 43-1/2.  So, it would appear that we have a 42" rear discharge that has a cut that is 3/8 under 42 and a 42" side discharge deck that has a cut that is 1-1/2 over 42.  Apparently when Wheel Horse says 42", they mean approximately 42".  In either case, it is close enough to 42 that it really won't make a noticeable difference.

squonk

Yes the mulcher is heavy. Yes grass gets trapped above it. But the time it saves me from raking up grass and leaves makes it worth it. I pull it apart at the end of the season and once in season and clean scrape and paint. I love my mulching deck. :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Everything I see shows the recycler kit using 14-4879 3-blade set 14-1/2" long (Napa 3 of # 7-06767)

The 78350 rear discharge deck using 106635 3-blade set also 14-1/2" long (Napa 3 of # 7-04961)

Garry

FDSJr

OK.  It looked like I might have had some numbers reversed, so after a lot of research on what I actually have in my stable, I have arrived at the following conclusions:

78350 rear discharge deck (42") with 106635 blades (14-1/2").

78345 side discharge deck (42") with 106636 blades (13-7/8").

These blades match the specs in the parts lists for the decks.

At some point (before I obtained it) a past owner had installed the 86001 recycling kit in the 78350 rear discharge deck and continued to use the existing 106635 blades.  I am not sure if this is a problem, but the parts manual for the 86001 recycling kit, as well as manuals for the 78355 and R5-42RC01 decks (which include the recycling kit as part of the deck) specifies the 14-4879 blades.  My research to date shows that the basic dimensions (length, width, thickness) of the 106635 blades and the 14-4879 blades are the same, but so far I haven't been able to find anything on the LIFT of the blades to determine if it is the same.  If there is a difference in lift, I should probably switch to the 14-4879 blades for use with the recycling kit and stick with the 106635 blades if I remove the kit from the deck.

Several different sources (vendors of blades) list both the 106635 and 14-4879 as "Standard Lift" or "Medium Lift".  These may be identical blade sets with different part numbers.

The research continues!!!  Thanks for all comments on this so far.  Everything has been helpful.

Edited by FDSJr
  • Like 1