Fordiesel69

B-80

Fordiesel69

Got a B-80 with an 8 speed, in which the engine must be missing the oil dipper.  It has a decent knock, and runs terrible, and upon inspecting the cylinder there are some deeper scratches with the wall showing no sign of oil, even though oil is at proper level.  The tractor itself is in average good condition with tight steering, and paint is very good considering its age.  Decals are also very decent.  At this point I do not have the time or desire to rebuild the engine.  What is this worth?  I do not typically collect the 8HP tractors as they serve me little purpose.  

rjg854

I'm sorry to hear that this tractor has let you down. If you want it out of your barn, I suppose I could step up and take one for the team by allowing you to put it in my barn and thus get rid of a hindrance for you :text-lol:  

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, rjg854 said:

I'm sorry to hear that this tractor has let you down. If you want it out of your barn, I suppose I could step up and take one for the team by allowing you to put it in my barn and thus get rid of a hindrance for you :text-lol:  

thats wicked generous of ya

:ychain:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Fordiesel69 said:

What is this worth?

Older garden tractors have reached a point where they're between useful and collectable, depending on the buyer.

Value of any given tractor is "what-ever price the seller And buyer agree on"

Best way to figure a value for your rig is go on CL for about 100 miles around you and see what the rebuildables are selling for AND see what the Total of your parts would sell for.

Parts may be worth More than the machine as whole...

I WISH I lived closer.

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

Thats the thing, there just arnt any B80s ever to compare.  Our town and surrounding towns were all 12HP models usually.

ebinmaine
53 minutes ago, Fordiesel69 said:

Thats the thing, there just arnt any B80s ever to compare.  Our town and surrounding towns were all 12HP models usually.

That being the case -  IMO.... Add up what the separate pieces are worth and price accordingly. 

There's likely  $400 - $500 in parts Easily  but you might not get that for the rig as a whole.

Sometimes tractors are more desired because they are rare.... but sometimes they are rare because they aren't desired..... at least in a given area.

Edited by ebinmaine

Racinbob

Why not just slap a bigger HP motor on it? It's just a bolt on. Or just sell it to somebody that will rebuild the 8? There's a lot of folks that like the B-80's as they are very capable machines. Of course there's a limitation if you're wanting to use horsepower hungry attachments but many don't need that. I hate to see an otherwise perfectly good tractor parted out and be gone forever. :angry-nono::)

• Like 3

slim67

I was fortunate enough to get a free Cub Cadet from a friend and put the CH13 into my B-80. I didnt want a battery ignition so I sold the K181 on CL. If i didnt get the free Cub ,I was going to go with a Predator from Harbor Freight.

IMG_0837.JPG

• Like 1

Fordiesel69
17 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Why not just slap a bigger HP motor on it? It's just a bolt on. Or just sell it to somebody that will rebuild the 8? There's a lot of folks that like the B-80's as they are very capable machines. Of course there's a limitation if you're wanting to use horsepower hungry attachments but many don't need that. I hate to see an otherwise perfectly good tractor parted out and be gone forever. :angry-nono::)

I have so many tractors it is becoming disease.  Having this 8HP and doing anything to it, is not possible with the amount of work I need to do on my good ones I plan to keep.  I will keep it whole and prob let it go cheap.  I too would hate to see it parted out as it is overall good.

I cant do pics on the forum here as even with my lowest camera resolution, each pic is more than 1.94MB.  My photobucket account has also been affected to not allow third party hosting.  I will need to get a photo compression program to shrink my photos.  

• Like 1

Racinbob

Excellent. I'm glad you'll keep it whole. I see that you do have a nice herd. If you become a supporter you can post all the pictures you want. :)

• Like 2

Fordiesel69

The ones I list isnt even the tip of them.  Unfortunatly all the 16HP and 14HP came rolling in all at once after yrs of looking.

bwcollins

I am in the same boat, I have a super clean B-80 but engine needs machining, and I moved to a new house where running a larger deck is what I need to do, I’m at the dilemma myself of sell, part out, re power with bigger, or rebuild and not use....

Fordiesel69

The 8HP is good for 38" max and in heavy grass it will really have a hard time.  In the old days an 8HP with an 8 speed tranny and a 32" gear drive deck it would cut quite well.  I have an 875 that has sentimental value but it is worthless, as the hydro brings the engine to its knees even after a rebuild.  It can't do much except ride you around the yard.

Edited by Fordiesel69

Pullstart

When I put the K-181 8 horse and 8 speed trans into my 502, it became my favorite... well it already was.  But I think that combo is more capable than some may... I guess if you can't keep 'em all, you can't keep 'em all.

I wish MI was as flooded as the east coast with tractors, seems CL sellers these days want top value for a rebuildable machine.

• Like 1

rmaynard
On 10/25/2017 at 1:48 PM, Fordiesel69 said:

Got a B-80 with an 8 speed, in which the engine must be missing the oil dipper.

I seriously doubt that the dipper is missing. If it was, you would have seized the connecting rod bearing long ago. The dipper is the only way that the engine is lubricated. 

In my opinion, the K181 that you have now is only a couple of hundred dollars away from being rebuilt back to one of the best little engines out there. The K181 is a gas sipper compared to other engines. If you don't intend to keep it, rebuild that engine and keep the B-80 as original. It will likely bring more money than one with a non-original engine.

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

I have a B80-8 with a great running k181 on it and it is a 1977. From what I've read here on RedSquare the 1977 is a long frame like my C160 with the same frame numbers . 1974,75,76 were short frames with different frame numbers. I've got a k341 that runs good and will bolt right on the 77 B80 frame. Next spring I'm think of pulling the k181 off the B80  replacing it with the k341 and putting the k181 on a 67 lawn ranger . This is my thinking but I'll turn 69 soon so my body sometimes can't keep up with my thinking. I won't part out any tractor and the k181 is a great little engine worthy of a rebuild.

• Like 4

Racinbob
2 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

I have a B80-8 with a great running k181 on it and it is a 1977. From what I've read here on RedSquare the 1977 is a long frame like my C160 with the same frame numbers . 1974,75,76 were short frames with different frame numbers. I've got a k341 that runs good and will bolt right on the 77 B80 frame. Next spring I'm think of pulling the k181 off the B80  replacing it with the k341 and putting the k181 on a 67 lawn ranger . This is my thinking but I'll turn 69 soon so my body sometimes can't keep up with my thinking. I won't part out any tractor and the k181 is a great little engine worthy of a rebuild.

The 76 and 77 are identical and you are correct on the frame. I bought a new 76 B-80 and did just you're thinking of. I purchased a new K-341 from WW Grainger and put it on the B-80. I still have that tractor but it wasn't in my possession for the 17 years we lived in Florida. It's now back with me and still going strong. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, pullstart said:

When I put the K-181 8 horse and 8 speed trans into my 502, it became my favorite... well it already was.  But I think that combo is more capable than some may... I guess if you can't keep 'em all, you can't keep 'em all.

I wish MI was as flooded as the east coast with tractors, seems CL sellers these days want top value for a rebuildable machine.

I agree with your line of thinking as far as good capability. I've been more than impressed with mine since I got it about a year-and-a-half ago. That said, I don't run any implements. I use it to tow a couple small trailers around that often weigh over a thousand pounds... and pull logs from the forest.

We seem to have a similar problem with inflated pricing here in Northern New England.

4 hours ago, Racinbob said:

The 76 and 77 are identical and you are correct on the frame. I bought a new 76 B-80 and did just you're thinking of. I purchased a new K-341 from WW Grainger and put it on the B-80. I still have that tractor but it wasn't in my possession for the 17 years we lived in Florida. It's now back with me and still going strong. :)

Good info there. Maybe next spring or summer I'd like to get my hands on a 16 horse 8 speed of that same vintage.

That frees me up to be able to look for different size tractors that may not have an engine in them, then add my own.

1940willys

I agree, if the dipper is broken or missing you would of had a failure by now. Knocking comes from  out of tolerance /wore out  piston wrist pin to rod or crankshaft journal to rod end. Using the wrong engine oil viscosity for the temperature range ing used in.

Fordiesel69

Hope it makes someone a good machine.  Parted ways with it today for $100.  I never ran the engine, I aquired it not running. When I recently tried to start it, the engine knocked so I decided not to go further.  I have 8 decks that need rebuilt and welded.  And 4 tractors that need work.  

Mikey the Monkey

Did I see that on Erie PA Craigslist? Looked beautiful. I almost called and made the 2 hour trip!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Mikey the Monkey said:

Did I see that on Erie PA Craigslist? Looked beautiful. I almost called and made the 2 hour trip!

Man, for a $100 B80, I would probably make a 4 or 5 hour trip.:auto-swerve:

Pennsylvania to Maine is a bit too far.

:blink:

• Like 1