Straight From the Horse's Mouth - The final chapter

W/H JUNKY

Delco remy voltage regulator

Hi everyone. I need to purchase a new Delco Remy voltage regulator for my Commando 8. Could someone help me out with a part number so I get the right one. Thanks in advance 

This should be your engine and spec number

http://www.partstree.com/parts/kohler-engines/engines-horizontal/k181-30108-kohler-k181-engine-k-series-wheel-horse-8hp-6kw-specs-30100-30848/electric-start-11-2-96-tp-2045-b/

Item 40 is part number 275746-S  and no longer available from Kohler but that original number should lead you to one.

Garry

• Like 1

I also have a Commando 8 , it's a 1968. I used it two days ago. I parked it in the shed after using it. Today, I went to start it, and nothing happened. The head and taillights worked. The horn did not. I charged up the battery. Then, it turned over. And the horn worked. But, there was a large spark that came from the voltage regulator, as I turned the ignition key. What would cause this? Should I replace the regulator? Also, electronics are my weak point. Is there any books, or a website that would cover the basics? Thank you.

This is the only Kohler service manual that I have seen that covers the starter/generator.

Good copy large file

Smaller file

Garry

7 hours ago, bunson70 said:

But, there was a large spark that came from the voltage regulator, as I turned the ignition key. What would cause this? Should I replace the regulator? Also, electronics are my weak point. Is there any books, or a website that would cover the basics? Thank you

Sparks are the result of a bad connection. Before replacing anything, I would clean all or the wire terminals and make sure that they are tight when you put them back on. Also pull on the terminals and make sure that they are tight on the wires. If the terminals look questionable in any way cut them off and replace them.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

I cleaned up the connections on the voltage regulator, and the battery cables. The problem is fixed. I thought it was  going to be something more serious. I tend  to over think things.

• Excellent 2

16 hours ago, bunson70 said:

I cleaned up the connections on the voltage regulator, and the battery cables. The problem is fixed. I thought it was  going to be something more serious. I tend  to over think things.

Glad it worked out for you.:handgestures-thumbupright:

@W/H JUNKY were you able to find a regulator?