Bill D

K341 VS K321 VS P216G

Bill D

I have a K321 that needs repair due to what I think is "Kohler Knock".  I stopped using it once I heard it knocking slightly under load.  If I had it rebuilt would I notice much difference between it and a K341 in terms of torque?  How does a Onan P216 compare to a K341 in terms of torque?

Jerry77

I would like to know what causes that knock...I had a 314-8 that started doing that ( very faintly, but certainly was there ) when it was about 9 years old... I kept it full of oil and continued to use it ...when it was about 16 years old, the knock quit....never was an issue other than the fear of throwing a rod...:unsure:  can't help you with your question tho...

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

Could it be spark knock ?

slammer302

Most air cooled engines have alittle knock or rattle thinks its the nature of the beast.  

• Excellent 1

Jerry77
1 hour ago, woodchuckfarmer said:

Could it be spark knock ?

I took mine to a dealer for other work and he said the engine sounded bad..kinda pushy guy....anyway, I bought it new in 96 and it is still running strong ( my son has it )

Fordiesel69

The P216 will out perform both of those kohlers, however you have to ask yourself which engine YOU like better.

The K321 will pull similar to the K341 but we all know how awsome it is to own the top dog.  Actually the K361 is the top dog but you will never find one.......

The knock is caused by too advanced timing, or most commonly an egg shaped crank pin.    The pin diameter never increased as the cylinder size increased.  It would be safe to assume a 16HP engine will wear the crankshaft faster than a 12HP.  

It is absolutly worth rebuilding either the K341 or K321.  Both are highly sought after.

• Like 2

WHX??

Spot on Ford... I would be more worried if my Kohlers didn't make a little noise! I just had a (nice) conversation today about rebuilding Kohlers with a new to me machine shop owner....see my thread in blown 301.

Bill D

I missed a 416-8 on CL in Fishkill NY for $350.  I had hopes that could be my first K341.  I hope It went to a good home.  I kinda like Kohlers better as I find them easier to work on and get parts for.  I also have some spare parts.   I also like having ready access to the manuals online.  I did download the P216 manual from here however.  The K321 I have only had 795 on the clock and the knock did get better when I set the timing, but never went away fully.  I also have an M10 that needs a rebuild as it uses 1qt of oil per hour, no knock though.

Bill

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

The M10 did not use a special piston, you can get the parts on ebay dirt cheap and rebuild it.  You could probably re-ring it and it would help significantly if you did not have time to strip it down to get it bored over.

• Like 1

Bill D

I just don't need that engine at this time.  I am keeping it in case of rod failure in either my Dad's or my M12.  The block is stamped K301.  Is that good?  I heard that means it could be punched out and and made into an M12.

Fordiesel69

The whole K301 stamping adds tons of confusion.  **Most K series on our wheel horses were real genuine K301 blocks under bored.  You will on occasion find them stamped and still be thin but that is not usually the case.  On the other hand, magnums are most likely not real K301 cylinder walls underbored meaning they have to stay 10HP.

All 10 HP engines can get a crank swap, and a moddification made to the connecting rod to make it into an 11HP hybrid.  Brian miller mentioned it and I found it an interesting read....

• Like 1