BOB ELLISON

plow skids on

BOB ELLISON

Well I finally got my plow skids on my C160 snow pusher. I'm trying to get ready for winter. I have a gravel drive way and ever spring I have to clean up all the gravel in the side yard before I can mow the grass. So I ordered some skids and welded on a plate to support them.

I had a tough time with my old mig welder with all the splatter from it. It doesn't look all that good but it will hold for sure. I have the blade about 1/2" high and still have threads on the skid for more lift if need be.

20171023_104308.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

Nice job!

Question: Won't those leave ruts in the gravel? Reason I am asking - I will need to replace my asphalt drive in the near future and I have thought about gravel but my concern is snow management, ice etc. in our lovely Michigan winters...

BOB ELLISON

The first snow fall if it's 6 plus inches or more is the hardest to keep the gravel from being pushed by the plow. I keep the blade up about 2 inches with the hydrolics just so I don't hit the gravel. But after I get a hard base of snow the skids just ride on top and all is well. It does take a little to get the knack. Almost all the plowing I do is at a left or right angle So the skids will help with the tip not digging in also.

My first tractor was a craftsman 19 hp and I plowed with it for 14 years that plow had skids but you'll always hit some gravel. 

• Like 1

Sarge

I've often considered trying to use a pair of wide casters that could withstand being used in snow/gravel/slush , ect instead of using skids . We very often get the few first snow falls well before the ground freezes solid - so the gravel is quite mushy and any skids will try to dig in anyway . I did try a set I built on the D last year and they just left ruts due to the weight of the big 56" blade and the extra steel it took to repair and reinforce when I rebuilt it to fix a previous owner's damage . Problem with most of the blades is there is not enough room to add wheels big enough to do the job if you angle the blade and they need to be pretty close to the outer ends of the blade to work effectively . I may re-visit this again soon if I can get the D's hydro issues worked out to use it this winter . I'd think something about the size of the common deck rollers should work , maybe a little bigger diameter ..?

Sarge

Tankman

I once saw a blade with swivel wheels on both ends. Mount was similar to the swivel wheels on some Cub Cadet mowing decks.

Might be a good setup (?). ;)

rjg854

I'm not sure if this is the proper use of the height adjustment on the lift lever,  but I have it adjusted so that it holds the dozer blade about an inch and a half above the stone driveway so that I'm not plowing stone. 

• Like 2