Mike'sHorseBarn

Kohler k241 out of a 1045

Mike'sHorseBarn

Question for you guys. The rod on the k241 in my 1045 is shot and the crankshaft is broken at the nut. The flywheel just kind of fell off. Now I know I have to get a new crankshaft, but my question is about the rod. It appears to me that the oil sling on the bottom of the rod is shorter than most due to the shallow oil pan on the engine. I looked at partstree.com and it appears that rod is NLA so my questions is can I buy a standard rod for a k241 and grind down the oil sling or what is best to do in this situation? I'm sure someone else here has rebuilt and engine on a 1045. If this helps the engine is a k241AS Spec 46219A 

Thanks!

Mike

• Sad 1

gwest_ca

In case you have not noticed I think the pto end of the crankshaft is 1" diameter. Later models went to 1-1/8" diameter.

Garry

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn
2 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

In case you have not noticed I think the pto end of the crankshaft is 1" diameter. Later models went to 1-1/8" diameter.

Garry

You are correct the pto end is 1".

Shynon

Last one I did I just matched it up to the old one and cut it off, ground it smooth just like original 

• Like 3

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:I would guess that's what the guys do Mike as the length of the oil dipper is the only difference. I would like to know how did the crank break? I might have an extra crank Mike, will have to check if its inch or 1 1/8" tho.

• Like 2

Mike'sHorseBarn
10 minutes ago, WHX12 said:

:text-yeahthat:I would guess that's what the guys do Mike as the length of the oil dipper is the only difference. I would like to know how did the crank break? I might have an extra crank Mike, will have to check if its inch or 1 1/8" tho.

It appears to be that the PO was on the flywheel nut with an impact wrench assuming they were left hand thread like an old Briggs engine and snapped the end of the crankshaft off.

• Confused 1

woodchuckfarmer

Get someone to drill and tap it for a bolt.