Bill D

High Hour KT17

Bill D

My main mowing tractor is a 310-8 with a swapped in KT17 that now has over 1300 hours.  I recently missed a 416-8 on CL that could have provided an engine for a swap.  Should I be worried about this engine failing soon?  Compression is getting a little low (80 PSI) but it still starts and runs good with no strange noises.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.  

Bill

Fordiesel69

If the series II that is low hrs and should be no prob with excellent maint.  If series I with splash lube, operating on flat ground and keeping oil at full mark at all times is critical.  No hills or side mowing with it!

• Like 4

PeacemakerJack

:text-goodpost: How long have you owned this tractor and how many hours have you put on this engine personally?  Have you ever decarboned the heads?   The series I motors are much more finicky and prone to failure than the series II as mentioned above.  However, on either engine, there are some "500 hour" service items that rarely get taken care of that I'm sure would prolong their life...

• Like 1

Bill D

The engine is a Series II.  I have only put about 100 hours personally on it.  When I got it I changed one head due to the spark plug hole being almost stripped out.  I didn't see very much carbon in the combustion chamber at that time, so I didn't check the other cylinder.   The engine uses no oil and only smokes slightly on a cold startup, which I expect.  The oil stays very clean during the mowing season.  It makes decent power.  I have set the timing and the RPM's and have a point saver installed.  It sounds just like my neighbors KT 17 in his Bolens, with no strange noises.  A local mechanic did tell me I could be running on borrowed time due to the hours.  Did anyone from here get the 416-8 that was on CL in Fishkill, NY for $350?   I couldn't get to it due to a pulled groin.  

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

That information all sounds good.  I would keep up on the Maintenance and keep running it.  If the right deal on a "backup" motor presents itself you ca always pick it up and have it on hand if needed.  All told, it sounds like you still have a solid engine.  Compression seems a little low but as long as it runs strong and does what you need it to do, keep at it. Sorry to hear about your injury, that does sound good at all!

• Like 2

Bill D

Thanks for the info.  I plan to keep it running as long as I can.  I just like to have a backup plan in case something happens.  After two weeks of rest I have to mow the lawn today.  We will see how that goes. 

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Let us know how it turns out...

Bill D

I never got to the lawn today.  It rained hard on Tuesday and was overcast today so the grass never dried out.  I will try to mow tomorrow.  Working on the tractor today didn't make me feel too good though.   Begining to think I may have a hernia. 

• Sad 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: That can't be good. 

953 nut
9 hours ago, Bill D said:

think I may have a hernia. 

Get it repaired promptly, won't fix itself.

On 10/23/2017 at 3:33 PM, Bill D said:

Compression is getting a little low (80 PSI

When you did the compression check did you have both plugs removed, the air cleaner removed and have the throttle wide open?

Edited by 953 nut

Bill D

I don't remember how I did that compression check, I will check it again in the spring.  On a good note, I don't have any additional pain after mowing the lawn and dumping 12 cans of grass and leaves from my Trac Vac .  Maybe it was just a pulled groin after all.

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Glad that you are feeling better and the tractor worked well for you today.  Health issues can be quite scary and overwhelming.  Thanks for the update and don't be a stranger on the Forum. Lots of cool stuff and mainly awesome people on here!:dance: