jsPond

What the life span for this engine?

jsPond

I'm looking at a 315-8 with around 1000 hours on it.  Doesn't look bad but I'm wondering how much life is left on that 15hp kohler magnum, assuming it's been well cared for.  I have a 315-8 now that has around 700 on the meter I think and it seems to be fine.  I only want this other one to run my tiller so I don't have to keep switching.

pfrederi

Well cared for magnum should go 2000 hours or more

jsPond

That's great to hear.  Thank you.  I'll let everyone know what happens.  I hope to look at this/buy it tonight.

jellyghost

I want to piggy back on this question.  How long will the engine last with rebuilds?  Can they only be rebuilt once?

Fordiesel69

A 315-8 has the Kohler Command engine not the MAGNUM.  

The engine is not legendary such as the K series  / Magnum cast iron series.  It is however supposed to have a great reputation in the commercial market when properly cared for.  It is OHV so it will be quieter, more fuel efficient, and smoother than the old cast irons.  However being aluminum, it is not as rebuildable and quite a few parts are expensive.  Any air cooled engine with excellent maint should give 2000-2500 hrs.  

If price is right, it would be a great engine.

• Thanks 1

jsPond
5 minutes ago, Fordiesel69 said:

A 315-8 has the Kohler Command engine not the MAGNUM.  

The engine is not legendary such as the K series  / Magnum cast iron series.  It is however supposed to have a great reputation in the commercial market when properly cared for.  It is OHV so it will be quieter, more fuel efficient, and smoother than the old cast irons.  However being aluminum, it is not as rebuildable and quite a few parts are expensive.  Any air cooled engine with excellent maint should give 2000-2500 hrs.  

If price is right, it would be a great engine.

You're absolutely correct.  Command.  I had Command in my head but typed Magnum for some reason.  Sorry about that and thanks for setting it straight!  Sheesh!  I need sleep.

Searcher60

As far as I know there are no overside rebuild parts available for that engine, only standard. They do however sell a brand new Kohler shortblock for like $700-800 bucks.