wh500special

Farewell old friend!

wh500special

In November of 1997 I bought my first new vehicle.   Today, that old friend no longer belongs to me.   

It always was a bit of an unusual truck.  You don't see many of these 7700 lb gvw Fords out there with their bizarre 7-lug wheels.  Heavier than an f-150, but lighter than a heavy duty 3/4.  I guess it was more of a 5/8 ton.  

It was a 1997 F-250 light duty 4x4 with the 4.6L v8.  I paid extra for the automatic transmission thinking my then fiancé (still my wife today ❤️) who couldn't drive a manual would drive it periodically.   It was the first vehicle I ever drove with an automatic transmission.  

In 20 years, she probably drove the truck 5 times. the things we do for love!

It could carry 2700 pounds and it did that and more many, many times.   It probably has hauled over 100 separate wheel horses in its 8-ft bed.  

Until 2003 it was my daily driver until I grew tired of the 17 mpg it gave.     Since then I added another car and  only used the truck as a truck.  So the last 50000 miles or so were usually loaded with something...rock, dirt, tractors, drywall, etc.   or pulling a trailer.   In reality, it's worked pretty hard when called upon for the last 14 years.   

It moved me and my belongings from Illinois to Missouri to Indiana and back to Illinois.   A friend borrowed it to move his stuff and ended up making multiple back and forth trips to West Virginia. 

its its been registered and titled in three states all under the same name -mine.  Never an accident and until a hailstorm last spring that claimed the headlamps and windshield it was still 100% factory.  

It's going to be weird not seeing it around anymore.   Hopefully it doesn't get crushed soon as I think it has quite a bit of life left in it.  I'm sure it's bound for an auction as the next part of its life.  

age was starting to take a toll and rust was making weird things happen.  The engine and transmission are still sound but it had been decaying around the edges. The exhaust manifolds are both rusted, the 4x4 system only works 75% of the time, the AC is dead, and general rust was making it somewhat unreliable.  

I had good luck in the last 20 years with this truck, but it did make me pucker the time the brake line ruptured at a rail crossing with a train careening across the road.  Had I not got that sucker to stop by throwing it in park and flooring the emergency brake the day would have ended differently.  

Another er time it wouldn't start after launching the boat with the trailer still in the water.  That was fun.  

And there was that 10-degree winter night between Decatur and Springfield Illinois when the heater core blew leaving me with no heat and a puddle of coolant on  the floorboards.  Thank god Home Depot was still open that night so I could cut the heater hoses and isolate the heater core.   That last 120 miles to mom and dads house was cold and my poor dog kept

looking at me with confusion on why we were freezing with the windows open a crack (to keep from fogging up)instead of running the heat.  

But it was still a good truck for me. 

Some time ago it hit that valuation that made anything beyond regular maintenance an undesirable investment for me.   Filling the 30 gallon tank increased its value by 25%  The new battery this spring kind of broke the camel's back so I kept it through the summer to get some work done

around the house and decided to sell it before the plate expired in November. 

No regrets letting it go, but it's going to be missed for a while.   replacing it and my wife's car is a Honda Ridgeline that better suits our current needs.  We're back to two vehicles which just makes more sense.  

I'm sure others have old trucks or their first cars with which they parted and it might be neat to hear some stories.   

Farewell old friend!

steve

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 7

Terry M

I remember those trucks....Only made them one year (F-250 in that body style).  Looks to still be in good shape:handgestures-thumbupright:.  

KC9KAS
18 minutes ago, wh500special said:

Until 2003 it was my daily driver until I grew tired of the 17 mpg it gave.

I would be tickled pink if my 2003 Silverado got that good of MPG's! Tomorrow it will turn over 200,000 trouble free miles!

ClassicTractorProfessor
11 hours ago, Terry M said:

I remember those trucks....Only made them one year (F-250 in that body style).  

i thought they were only built in 98...but if his is a 97 then they must have made them for three years as this one I just sold was a 99. the one I had was even more unusual as it had the 5.4 bi-fuel engine...was set up from the factory to run gas or propane.

In 99 they introduced the Super Duty...i hated buying parts for mine...seemed like no matter how many times I would tell them it's the "light duty" f250, I would get there to pick up my parts and they would have super duty parts out and ready for me

FB_IMG_1508674664809.jpg

FB_IMG_1508674660372.jpg

FB_IMG_1508674656402.jpg

FB_IMG_1508674652446.jpg

FB_IMG_1508674592384.jpg

Sarge

That series of heavy half ton Fords were excellent - they had some quirks but proved to outlast just about anything else in the market . Construction companies bought and beat them like candy - still quite a few running around the they just refuse to die . Yeah , the parts thing is a real problem since that model was the precursor to the Super Duty which had a different chassis - but they were a great truck .

Sarge

Cvans

They were and are a good truck. Mine is a 1/2 ton with a 5spd and is still my favorite drive. The newer one sets in the garage unused most of the time. 4.6 engine and 85,000 miles. 

59ecb21568ca0_1997FordF-150.jpg.74d29f0d1b376cf6ede1d80e3f0f9a80.jpg

wh500special

These were good trucks.  

Somewhere along the line the F250 designator disappeared and they called them F150 7700's.  Still same thing.  

For 99% of the truck, they shared parts with the F150's.  But the axels and brakes were differnt.   No alloy wheels were offered.   I know the master cylinder for the brake system was unique to the 250 because I had to replace mine and there weren't any junkyard parts or rebuilds available at the time.  

The truck was underpowered with the 4.6 on the highway.  It did a

lot of shifting between 3rd and 4th when unladen.   Loaded, it just hung in 3rd and made OPEC smile. 

Below are pix of the black Honda I replaced it (and a Ford Edge) with and a weird contraption I just saw at Menards a half hour ago.  Both are certainly not mainstream pickups!

Interesting comments. Keep em up!

steve 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Terry M
10 hours ago, Professor1990 said:

i thought they were only built in 98...but if his is a 97 then they must have made them for three years as this one I just sold was a 99.

Could be....I thought that's what I remember hearing.   :)

Cvans

Anyone one else notice that all of the Fords shown so far are white? Must have been a popular color at one time. 

slammer302

My step mom has a silver extended cab 7 lug 4.6 engine think its a 97. She runs her own landscaping business. She loves it. We have always called them heavy 1/2 tons.

Terry M
3 hours ago, Cvans said:

Anyone one else notice that all of the Fords shown so far are white? Must have been a popular color at one time. 

White is popular with fords...many ford fleet vehicles are/were made in the standard white color , too. 

• Like 1

19richie66

I like those new ridgelines!