Tim S.

520XI won't go up hill

Tim S.

My son just bought a 520 XI loaded on trailer ok, got it home went to try on his hill went up about 5-10 feet the rolled right back down. runs really well has little over 1000 hrs on it great shape, is there a hydro pump that could be the problem or are these trannys designed to be worked on or replaced. Are parts still available? Could there be another problem.

Thanks, Tim

shallowwatersailor

Here are a few initial items to check:

• Is it in gear? The transmission has a Hi-N-Lo selector. Try moving between ranges. How much of a hill?
  • Check the fluid level, if it is low it won't move well.
  • If the oil filter hasn't been changed, it could be restricting flow. An oil change (10W-30) and new filter takes 4.5 quarts.
  • Try the above first but the linkage may need to be adjusted.
  • Excellent 1

leeave96

+1

You could have a sheared key between the axle and hub allowing it to free wheel on a slope.  I assume the 5xi's had this arrangement like th older Wheelhorse tractors before them.

slammer302
1 hour ago, leeave96 said:

+1

You could have a sheared key between the axle and hub allowing it to free wheel on a slope.  I assume the 5xi's had this arrangement like th older Wheelhorse tractors before them.

They do have the same setup. All of the above thing are were I would start. 

Tim S.

But wouldn't it free wheel all the time on any slope, checked the hydro it was a little low added some oil it will go up the hill but starts to free wheel on way back down. its about 20 degree slope on one part of yard, its ok on gentler slopes up and down now but wants to free wheel on steeper part of yard. well guess we'll change oil and filter and see what happens. 

• Like 1

ericj

Did I understand you correctly in your first post to say that the tractor would not climb a hill but part way up roll backwards down the hill, or were you just saying after climbing the hill it would not hold back and free wheel down the hill. I've never owned or ran an XI series tractor, but I know that the 1100 series hydro in the 300, 400 and 500 series tractor, which I believe the XI have a similar style  trans with same pump on, do not hold back going down a hill either unless you move the motion control lever back toward reverse to manually slow the machine down. so like I said some free wheeling down a hill is normal for that series hydro pump

I once bought a heavily modified C175, that was converted to look like a 300, 400 series with an onan on it becuase the guy didn't like the way the tractor free wheeled down the hills in his yard and thought that there was something wrong with the tractor.

eric j   

Forest Road

I have one w a loader and 1100+ hours never had a problem. Jack it up and spin tires to inspect key ways on axles.

Check trans High low engagement. Is it in gear properly or does it pop out of gear? 

Is there a lot of slack in foot pedal linkage? Steering also gets sloppy.  Spend some serious time tightening and adjusting it. Mine was so bad when I got it I couldn't get 1/2 speed out of her. Yet i don't ever recall it rolling backwards. 

Dennys502

I agree with eric. It sounds like it rolls backward when you take your foot off the traction pedal. It is the same as a vehicle with an automatic transmission on a steep grade. You have to put your foot on the brake or press down on the traction control pedal to the point where it doesn't free wheel. It will free wheel going forward downhill as well. - mine does on steep slopes.

Tim S.

At first it wouldnt go uphill it would start up for about 5-6 feet with pedel all the way down not letting off then it would free wheel back down to flat part of yard.           It was low on tranny fluid, topped off now it will go uphill but when starting down it picks up speed to a free wheel. It is a fairly steep hill but he had an old cub cadet 1650 hydro with chains and it would come down the hill and not pick up speed till close to bottom.      

I figured the xi being a heavier tractor by about 300# that it would hold back better. He cuts the same bank with kubota 1870 now with no problems coming down.                The xi free wheels soon as it starts down fast. I figured it would hold back better than that. Will change hydro fluid and filter when I get a chance to see if that helps.

Tim S.

Figured why it rolled back down in the beginning was because the pump wasn't picking up enough fluid from starting upward. So there can be an adjustment made to slow free wheeling down hill.

So is the motion control lever the same as the foot pedel.

ericj

motion control and the foot pedal are the same, If the trans was that low on fluid there may well have been damage done to the trans, they don't like to be run low on fluid, another question why was it so low on fluid ? Try easing off the pedal that should slow you down, kinda like a car you take your foot off the gas when you go down hill

eric j  

Tim S.

It was low on fluid because my son just bought the tractor from someone. When test driving it was on fairly flat ground. No reason to believe anuthing was wrong at the time. It runs fine on flat or gentle slopes, everything works as it should. And yes when coming down hill foot is definitely off pedal where hydro usually holds you back.

WVHillbilly520H

Are using "LOW" range instead of "HIGH"? it does make a difference ,also check ALL of the frame to transaxle mounting bolts to make sure they are tight the 520xi I bought last fall all but 1 was loose after carrying a 60" deck all its previous years, Jeff.