Keith L. Parent Sr.

PTO clutch 312 - 8

Keith L. Parent Sr.

I am having trouble disengaging the pto clutch on my 312 - 8. My c- 100 has a spring to spread the outer bell when dissenguaged. should my 312- 8 have a spring also. I have looked at the parts diagram it does not show a spring! Keith.

Lee1977

They did away with the spring on the newer models. I'm not sure why it won't disengage. It may be dry, they do need a little grease, too much will get on the clutch disk.

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

When the internal pto spring and associated hardware was eliminated they changed the short pto shaft #33 to one with two #34 retaining rings - one on each side of the #36 bearing. They added spring #13 to the rod back to the handle. Now the pto clutch is pulled out away from the clutch disc rather than using the internal spring to push it out.

If you look close at a retaining ring one side has sharp edges and the other side has rounded edges because they are stamped in production. The sharp edges lock into the groove better when pressure is applied. The inner retaining ring in this case needs to have the sharp edges facing the engine. The outer retaining ring needs to have to sharp edges facing out away from the bearing.

If installed backwards the pressure applied can force the rounded edges out of the groove.

The other end of the spring hooks into the bottom corner of the L-bracket.

Garry

pto 1990 312-8.jpg

PTO linkage spring2 SS.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1