NateYarger

GT1642 no spark

NateYarger

Hello,

My GT1642 recently shut down after about an hour of mowing. I pulled it into my shop and started to diagnose the problem. First, I noticed that I am getting no spark using a spark plug tester. So I then went to check the flywheel and twin magneto. The outer part of the flywheel was a little rusty so I lightly sanded it and tried to clean the outer part of the magneto. I was able to get spark after doing this and it fired up. However, today I’m having the same issue, no spark.

Two questions:

1.) Does anyone have a part number for the twin magneto. I am going to try to replace it. My GT1642 has a 16hp Briggs

engine.

2.) Doe anyone have any addition

troubleshooting ideas that I should look into besides changing the twin magneto.

Cheers,

Nate

9A867F7E-727B-43FC-B663-2389DC651691.png

chip61

chafed wire grounding intermittently??

• Like 1

gwest_ca

This should be the parts list. Confirm by comparing the numbers that are most likely stamped into the blower housing tinwork. Click on the fuzzy photo and download from there.

Garry

• Like 1

aHorseofCourse

Sounds like the magnito is bad.  The magnetos on these Opposed Briggs don't have a long life span and seem to quit once they get hot when they get old.  Check the wires first but after that I'd get a new mag, should be around $30 on the bay.

NateYarger

Thank you all. I purchased a new magneto. Should arrive this week. I’ll keep ya posted. 

Thanks.

nate