paul87150

227-5 No drive

paul87150

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, like many others I have left it until I have a problem mainly due to overload the past year or so since I bought my 227-5 to deal with new land we bought in the Limousin, France. Part of my reasoning to buy this particular machine was its age, I love old stuff, much better built than the vast majority of modern equipment. It also has a sweeper that I can use independently for collecting leaves and chestnut husks that are a particular problem at this time of year. It has worked really well up until now!

The problem I have is that suddenly I have no drive at all, this admittedly has been coming on for a while and I cobbled a Heath Robinson fix to get me through the summer when we were doing the 15 hour round trip from our old place in France to this one and dealing with mountains of grass at both ends! So it started out as a dicky drive which seemed to be the lack of engagement when the clutch was released, I supported the return with a elastic bungy which provided a little more return pressure. All seemed well until yesterday when the mower ran fine and then wouldn't run at all when restarted. Nothing else has been changed in the meantime. I have absolutely no clue how this transmission works and although the manual refers to it there is precious little information on the workings and servicing. We live out in the sticks far from the madding crowd and have become quite good at sorting things, I just need help with information on how I strip this baby down and find the problem so I can fix it. All contributions would be gratefully received.

Thank in advance, Paul

I have just found a link to the Toro site and it states the transmission is Peerless 822! Does this help anyone answer my post above please?

Sarge

To my knowledge , that model is not one that was sold in the US - maybe a Belgium built model ?

On most designs , if there is a problem with the transmission drive it's generally the belt itself or the pulley system and guards that make it work correctly as well as linkage and springs . Maybe if we had a picture it would give better insight to how it's built and we could help . If the belt is glazed (semi-burned) on the sides or just worn out , broken springs/linkage will all cause that type of issue . Some of the Peerless transmissions are known to have input shaft bearing problems and can destroy themselves when the bearing goes bad as well .

Got a picture or two of this tractor ?

Also , Welcome to Red Square !

Sarge

paul87150

Thank you for your reply Sarge. I will take some pictures and attempt to post them, always seems a problem on forums!

There was no indication of bearing failure, no noise whatever, I will double check the belt but there is absolutely no drive, as if the belt itself had broken or jumped off the pulley. I can feel the belt and it seems OK and 'feels right'. I'm currently battling with the leaves so would dearly love to get her back up and running. As I mentioned in my original post, the clutch didn't seem to come back up sufficiently, I'm talking the last quarter inch of travel, no more. I fastened one end of a strong elastic cord with kooks on both ends, we call it a 'bungy' maybe different on your side of the pond! This cured the 'insufficient' driving force, more akin to a slipping clutch not providing full transmission of power. I've looked for a good long while but cannot find any reference of worth to the gearbox/transmission, how it's constructed or works.

Does that help you any?

Regards, Paul

gwest_ca

Do you know the model number?

E2-17K501 - Used Peerless 822 transmission

E2-17K502 - Used Peerless 801-026 transmission

R2-17K501 - Used Peerless 801-026 transmission

R2-17K502 - Used Peerless 801-026 transmission

R2-17K593 - This 9 suggests it was made in Belgium - Used Peerless 801-026 transmission

Garry

paul87150

Hi Garry,

The ID number is R2-17K501 according to notes made in the manual from the previous owner. This is where I got the Peerless 822 transmission information off the Toro site. Unfortunately it doesn;t provide any pictorial info or parts list.

Regards, Paul

gwest_ca

If the belt is still in one piece and working there is a key

-between the engine drive pulley and the engine crankshaft

-the transmission driven pulley and the input shaft

-both rear wheels and the axles

If one of them fails you loose all drive.

You need to check if the shafts are turning inside the hubs because of a failed key. The most common cause of no drive.

Garry

Sarge

Gary hit it dead on - most times it's a shaft or hub key which should be fixed right away to prevent any further damage to the shaft . A sheared key can ruin a shaft or axle in short order . Generally , the axle hub keys go first and it seems the Peerless transmissions are more prone to input shaft failures or sheared keys than other manufacturers , mostly because their input shafts were pretty small in comparison . I've seen a ton of these failures on lawn tractors with both hydrostatic and manual transmissions from Peerless - the support bearing for that input shaft is quite small and generally just runs out of lubrication - then it fails .

Sarge

paul87150

Thanks Sargeas, I will take a look as soon as this darn rain stops, and hopefully tomorrow but may have to wait until next weekend. Will get back to you asap with an update.