ohiofarmer

Soda blaster question

ohiofarmer

I bought a soda blaster a while back from Harbor freight and as of yet have not used it. I recently got a gold Wing motorcycle and the tank is just about impossible to remove. There is a coating of crystalline varnish inside that resembles rust, but in removing the fuel sending unit, it was determined that it is dried fuel and not rust.

i was wondering if anyone has tried a soda blaster as of yet and if the blaster is gentle on steel as I do not want to hurt the tank. The tank would take considerable time and effort to remove and the entire rear end, fender, shocks, and possibly the shaft drive would have to be removed.

Texas Todd

Not sure how you plan on getting it all out, but the soda isn't going to hurt the metal.

• Like 2

squonk

Soda is gentler than say bead blasting. You will have to flush & rinse the tank many times. You could try straight lacquer thinner to dissolve the varnish. Most of that will evaporate after the tank is cleaned. 

• Like 4

Jerry77
15 minutes ago, squonk said:

You could try straight lacquer thinner to dissolve the varnish

:text-yeahthat:

Texas Todd

I had a friend that had to replace the thermostat on his Goldwing. He is convinced they started with the thermostat and built the motorcycle around it......I bet it took him and another buddy a total of 72 hours to change that thing. Most of the time scratching their heads and hydrating, I'm sure.

squonk
57 minutes ago, Texas Todd said:

I had a friend that had to replace the thermostat on his Goldwing. He is convinced they started with the thermostat and built the motorcycle around it......I bet it took him and another buddy a total of 72 hours to change that thing. Most of the time scratching their heads and hydrating, I'm sure.

They built the bike around the tank. I had a wing and changed the stat in about half a day. The fan switch was a challenge too.

Edited by squonk

KC9KAS

I had a 1978 and now have a 1989 & a 1996 Gold Wing. I wouldn't even attempt to remove the fuel tank!

I guess @ohiofarmer is thinking of cleaning the tank with a soda blaster while the tank is in place.

I think it would work, as the soda will easily dissolve...is there a drain at the bottom?

Jerry77
39 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:text-yeahthat:

I used this restoring the tank on an old Studebaker with a rusted tank - cleaned it first with weak muriatic acid - then followed directions  - worked great.:twocents-02cents:

ohiofarmer

Yes, I was wanting to clean it in place. I realize that not 100% of the tank is accessible. The trouble with lacquer thinner is it takes 5 gallons or $75 worth.

you have to take everything off the rear to remove the tank. Shocks, shaft drive unit, brake master cylinder, wheel, fender and fender liner. petcock

I think that for now, I need to just get the wiring and ignition hooked up and use a slave tank to see if the thing runs or not. A really nice clean bike like this one is hard to come by [especially at $300], but some short cuts are in order to see what the engine is like.

Edited by ohiofarmer

AMC RULES

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Vinegar doesn't get its due credit as a rust remover!  It not as fast as muriatic or phosphoric but if you are soaking it sure is safer & far cheaper. Don't forget your pieces though! They might disappear if left too long! 

Edited by DennisThornton
or
  • Like 2

squonk

I use White vinegar to de-lime my water heater. 2 gallons in a bucket and pump it through for an hour. :banana-wrench:

Sarge

Vinegar , Epsom salt , dish soap and a touch of Round-Up is a great mix for killing weeds also - just make sure the sprayer has stainless parts to handle the corrosive vinegar and rinse it out very well after each use . Most times even the most stubborn weeds are dead in 2 days and don't come back for quite awhile . Make sure to stay away from any metal objects or pressure treated wood - it will destroy those materials in short order . I generally use this mix the most on a gravel driveway/parking lot and works well .

Sarge

DennisThornton
On 10/22/2017 at 12:56 PM, squonk said:

I use White vinegar to de-lime my water heater. 2 gallons in a bucket and pump it through for an hour. :banana-wrench:

Rinnai?