AHenry014

Will a Kohler M10 work well in a 314-H?

AHenry014

Hey all!! Last night i picked up a 48" bagger deck and bagging system, and it happened to come with a 314-H.  The engine was removed when it "blew" and was then scrapped (along with a WH plow, ugh!!) when the previous owner felt it too much work to rebuild.  I was just planning to slap the deck under my GT1100 and call it a day, but i had an idea i wanted to run past you guys being new to WH Hydro's.  I have a 10HP Kohler from an '88 310-8 sitting in the corner of my garage.  The engine should just bolt right in and go, but i have no idea if the engine, having 4hp less than what is supposed to be there, will work well or not.  I may just try to kicks, but dont want to waste my time if the hydro system eats up a ton of power. Can anyone lend their 2 cents? 

Thanks!

Racinbob

It will handle it but you likely will feel the difference in taller grass. I purchased a new GT1100 with no attachments and had a spare 48" deck that I put on it. It handled it great. :)

• Like 1

ericj

it will handle it, but, the 48" deck will keep it maxed out if you don't keep up with the grass. Not sure how well it will handle the additional power loss of the power flow. what have you got to,loose maybe down the road you can find a 12 or 14 hp motor to stick on it. good luck

eric j

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:           If you plan to run a hydro with the 10 HP from a manual transmission tractor you will need to replace the drive pulley with the larger one from a hydro tractor. As others have said, the 48 deck will be fine as long as you keep the grass at a reasonable length,

• Like 1

AHenry014
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:           If you plan to run a hydro with the 10 HP from a manual transmission tractor you will need to replace the drive pulley with the larger one from a hydro tractor. As others have said, the 48 deck will be fine as long as you keep the grass at a reasonable length,

Interesting!! I would not have caught that.  Though, looking at partstree.com, it appears to be the same pulley 310-8 to 314-H.  Can someone verify?

I have a friend who offered me a 12hp Tecumseh, but not sure of how much effort it would take to fit, surely more than the 10hp i have.  

Edited by AHenry014

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, AHenry014 said:

I have a friend who offered me a 12hp Tecumseh, but not sure of how much effort it would take to fit, surely more than the 10hp i have.  

IMO..... Stick with the Kohler.

Ease of installation. 

Runs well and dependable. 

Le$$ expen$ive  to repair or maintain. 

Pretty comparable torque from my own experiences.

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

I have a Complete Kohler Single 14HP, not a Magnum, with Hydro pulley off a C145A, that would power it & some

ericj

forgot about the pulley swap, guess it was something I just took for granted and would have caught when doing the swap, should be able to find one from somebody on here or one of our vendor's on here. I ran a 48" deck on a 310-8 with out any big problems. they say a hydro takes about 2 hp to operate. put the kohler on for now and keep eye's and ear's open for a larger motor for on it

eric j

• Like 1

AHenry014

Ahh ok.  I was cross referencing the PTO pulley, which is the same.  The engine drive pulley does in fact carry a different part number.  Could only find online was $75 on ebay.  Part number 7443.  yikes!! Anyone have one?

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, AHenry014 said:

Ahh ok.  I was cross referencing the PTO pulley, which is the same.  The engine drive pulley does in fact carry a different part number.  Could only find online was $75 on ebay.  Part number 7443.  yikes!! Anyone have one?

If no one answers you directly, put a wanted ad in the classifieds. Never can tell what one of us may have laying around.

• Like 1

JoeM

I had a B100 auto, it used a 10Hp. It ran pretty good on flat ground but was real tired on the hills. The 10hp finally gave out and replaced it with a new 12hp. It was much better but at times was in the governor hard on the hills when grass was higher.

AHenry014
On 10/18/2017 at 6:49 PM, Big_Red_Fred said:

I have a Complete Kohler Single 14HP, not a Magnum, with Hydro pulley off a C145A, that would power it & some

Mega props to Fred here for sending me the hydro pulley!! Got the tractor mobile this past weekend with huge success.  Transaxle seals were replaced and refilled with oil.  Runs and rides awesome.  Got the plow under it and moved some earth.  Great feeling!! The 10 horse will likely do the job, but wont know for sure until i get a deck under it in the spring.  

Thanks all!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

Now, you know everyone is going to want to see some :text-coolphotos:, right?

• Like 3

Big_Red_Fred
1 hour ago, AHenry014 said:

Mega props to Fred here for sending me the hydro pulley!! Got the tractor mobile this past weekend with huge success.  Transaxle seals were replaced and refilled with oil.  Runs and rides awesome.  Got the plow under it and moved some earth.  Great feeling!! The 10 horse will likely do the job, but wont know for sure until i get a deck under it in the spring.  

Thanks all!

Glad it all works Alex, Have a Happy My :wh: Friend

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack

@AHenry014 glad that you checked back in and updated us! Don’t be a stranger to the forum. There are a lot of great guys here and lots of cool stuff to check out and builds to follow. I can’t tell you how helpful and patient these guys have been in my case.  

I agree with @ebinmaine post a pic of your tractor/s when you get a chance. One caution: if you haven’t figured it out, these tractors are addictive :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Searcher60

i saw that 314H you purchased with the bagger for sale with the blown engine.  It would be very interesting to see the rpm’s you are turning with the bagger while cutting grass with a 48” deck, and hydro. I doubt you make 2500 rpm, if that. If 10 hp were enough for a hydro, 48” deck, and bagger, WH would have done it.

• Thanks 1

AHenry014

I have been plowing some serious snow this winter. I haven't had much issue with traction with filled 23x10.50's and wheel weights.  Each wheel/weight weighs over 100 lbs.  I can move a foot+ of snow without chains with no issue, though i do wish for the chains when i do lose traction.  Engine and tractor perform just fine.  

That said, i don't think i care for the hydro system.  I LOVE the hydro lift for plowing, but certainly prefer a clutch.  Likely just personal preference since i have been mowing with a 8spd for about 18yrs.  I thought i might get used to it, but getting onto my GT1100 just feels much more natural.  To mix the best of both worlds (Kohler and 8spd), i picked up a 1991 312-8 last night from a neighbor.  I will be selling the Hydro tractor and my GT1100, both with 42" side discharge decks, keeping my 42" plow and 37" bagger deck.  The 48" bagger system was sold separately.    Thanks all for your input.  

Edited by AHenry014
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, AHenry014 said:

To mix the best of both worlds (Kohler and 8spd), i picked up a 1991 312-8 last night

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:Talk about an AWESOME combo—a :wh: Uni-Drive 8spd powered by K301!:wicked:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Sarge

Or - there is another solution . Set up the hydro with a foot pedal - best of both worlds and a lot easier on the shoulder/back when lifting implements.

Just a thought...

Sarge