Sparky

Tree’s down

Sparky

Had a tree company take down 9 trees in the yard today. Lots of yard cleanup in my future! And some seat time hauling wood of course.

982B7DD3-8727-4C98-825A-EF8931BFC8AD.jpeg

BAC1A42E-9C13-4266-81F0-D0ABE49EC2D7.jpeg

9F9E8A09-C378-40BC-9F8C-49054DA063A4.jpeg

BD277523-656E-4ED7-8EBC-1E303D06749D.jpeg

0636C42D-2706-487F-AF9B-8CF04A0917A1.jpeg

89302618-8F86-494F-BF50-B48B19D755E6.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

Aldon

I imagine that's a pricy service. But necessary.

• Like 1

Sparky
11 minutes ago, Aldon said:

I imagine that's a pricy service. But necessary.

Not pricy (in my opinion) ,all 9 trees were an even $1000. He was a legit company with full insurance. All I asked for was to get em in the ground, I’ll clean up all the brush and cut the wood into wood stove length.  These suckers were tall!! The tallest according to him was about 85’. He used the bucket for the whole job so all the heavy trunks are no longer than 6’. Still a lot of work ahead of me of course.

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

The guy in the bucket is a whole lot braver than me.  I don't know what you paid , but one of my neighbors had two trees taken down and the stumps ground for $4,500.00 . I thought that was pricey. 

KC9KAS
7 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

The guy in the bucket is a whole lot braver than me.  I don't know what you paid , but one of my neighbors had two trees taken down and the stumps ground for $4,500.00 . I thought that was pricey. 

8 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Not pricy (in my opinion) ,all 9 trees were an even $1000

Ed Kennell
7 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

The guy in the bucket is a whole lot braver than me.  

:text-yeahthat:

ClassicTractorProfessor
50 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Not pricy (in my opinion) ,all 9 trees were an even $1000. He was a legit company with full insurance. All I asked for was to get em in the ground, I’ll clean up all the brush and cut the wood into wood stove length.  These suckers were tall!! The tallest according to him was about 85’. He used the bucket for the whole job so all the heavy trunks are no longer than 6’. Still a lot of work ahead of me of course.

1000 bucks to put 9 trees on the ground is super cheap...you got a great deal...but most of the expense is in the cleanup...thats the hard part...putting them on the ground is easy with the right equipment

49 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I used to think the same thing...but once you've been up in the bucket a couple times it's not bad at all...i used to love the feeling of being 40-50 feet up with my chainsaw in hand...now them guys that's climb...thats another story...ive got all the climbing gear...but there isn't a customer within 250 miles of me got enough money to get me to put it on LOL.

Here's a couple shots of the view from up in my bucket. Sure gonna miss that old truck when it goes to it's its new home next week

FB_IMG_1508285758992.jpg

FB_IMG_1508285754841.jpg

FB_IMG_1508285750720.jpg

FB_IMG_1508285719968.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

Sarge

It's all good until one of the outriggers on the truck sinks into the ground - I took a ride years ago from 45' up on a heavy 2 axle D series truck . Wasn't too fast , but fast enough to crack the bucket and fubar an ankle pretty good . It took two of our cable plows and a lot of chains to right the truck again , then back up that pole to finish hanging strand . I did climb some , burned a few poles too but the worst one was a pole that had a rotten spot where my gaff kicked out - I started down but managed to kick away from it to avoid looking like a creosote porcupine , and landed on someone's mailbox . That put a really deep bruise on my lower back and destroyed their box as well as driving the pole in almost a foot deeper . I didn't work with the aerial crew too often , most times it was just helping a run through heavily wooded areas and climbing trees to run the strand - my main work was on the underground crew doing bores and plowing in cables - riding a vibratory plow is really tough on everything , especially the human in the seat . When it came time to set the towers for the head-in building I did quite a few of those - most of ours were 80' free-standing units erected by hand in 10' sections - rigging those upper antennas was no fun since they are so long but back then I could wrap my legs into the tower frame so I could reach it . You really had to have a young and Gumby-like body to do that stuff - back in the day was fine but no way I could do nearly any of it now .

You got a pretty smoking deal on getting those down despite having to do your own cleanup - most contractors around here would have been at least double that .

Sarge

• Like 1

Sparky
21 hours ago, Professor1990 said:

1000 bucks to put 9 trees on the ground is super cheap...you got a great deal...but most of the expense is in the cleanup...thats the hard part...putting them on the ground is easy with the right equipment

You are so right!! Spent 5 hours with my dad cutting the brush into manageable lengths and made piles in preparation for the diesel powered chipped I have reserved for Saturday. Once the brush was done I attacked the real wood...I'm no spring chicken anymore and Ive been out of construction for over 7 years now ( got soft 😱), running my Husky 55 Rancher with a 20" bar really beat me up!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Texas Todd

Bon Fire!!!

• Like 1

rjg854

Unless you are really pressed with bad weather, remember everything you do in moderation. None of us is getting any younger. 

• Like 2

Sparky
47 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

Unless you are really pressed with bad weather, remember everything you do in moderation. None of us is getting any younger. 

Very true. I am somewhat pressed. Winter is coming and my work travel schedule is about to get crazy busy with me traveling all over the country.

Plus...I hate my front yard looking like a bomb went off 💥!

ClassicTractorProfessor
3 hours ago, Sparky said:

running my Husky 55 Rancher with a 20" bar really beat me up!

I know exactly how you feel...my go to ground saw is a Husky 455 with a 20" bar...it can get to be a handful after running it a while

• Like 1

Sarge

I'd gladly trade for one of the Husky or Stihl saws for my 1971 Homelite C-7 , with the bigger bar it's knocking on 60lbs - but you can never stall that engine and with the last modified chain I had it would throw out wood shavings too fast to go through the clutch guard so I had to cut it out a bit . Lot of fun to run when I was younger , not sure I'd even try it now ....

That thing has the sweetest tune to it - sounds like an old Bultaco in a hand-held package...wonder if it's worth anything to the collector crowd ?

Sarge

wallfish
On 10/18/2017 at 5:30 PM, Sparky said:

.I'm no spring chicken anymore and Ive been out of construction for over 7 years now ( got soft 😱), running my Husky 55 Rancher with a 20" bar really beat me up!

Hey Sparkster, You should know better than to post stuff like this!

• Like 2

Sparky
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

Hey Sparkster, You should know better than to post stuff like this!

@wallfish Just gotta power down an energy yogurt and I’ll be good to go right?? 🤣

• Like 1

Docwheelhorse
23 hours ago, Sparky said:

@wallfish Just gotta power down an energy yogurt and I’ll be good to go right?? 🤣

Lmao!!

Tony

• Like 1