UncleJerm76

Is a mechanical (cable driven) RPM gauge possible on a K161?

UncleJerm76

I have a ‘61 701 with the K161, I found an old vintage RPM gauge of the same era that would look right at home. I know it’s not terribly helpful to everyone having a mounted gauge but it’s just somthing Ive always liked.

The General topic has been discussed many times (and I’ve read every one that I found) but the problem i need help with is it’s a mechanical gauge (run by a cable) and I can’t find any threads discussing this type of gauge on a small engine. 

Sounds easy enough though, surely there has to be somthing out there that bolts up to the output shaft or even tapped into the motor on the flywheel side somewhere? :think:

Oh I couldn’t figure out if this was the right forum for this question, if not I apologize.

Edited by UncleJerm76

KC9KAS

@UncleJerm76 Have you tried a "YouTube" search for a Kohler with mechanical RPM gauge?

• Like 2

953 nut

Back in the '60s the mechanical tachometers for cars were driven from the distributor, quite a bit of gear reduction to the cable.

• Like 1

oldredrider

Motorcycle tachs were driven by the transmission. Again, gear reduction. 

• Like 2

UncleJerm76
2 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

@UncleJerm76 Have you tried a "YouTube" search for a Kohler with mechanical RPM gauge?

Yes sir I did, tried google and youtube. all I could find on YouTube were electric gauges, no mechanicals. Did you find somthing I overlooked? It wouldn’t be the first time! :handgestures-thumbupright:

2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Back in the '60s the mechanical tachometers for cars were driven from the distributor, quite a bit of gear reduction to the cable.

The one I found is an old diesel tach that looks very close to the 701 ammeter, the rpm goes to 3500 which is perfect for my k-series :wh:

2 hours ago, oldredrider said:

:techie-eureka: Now that you mention motorcycles, I remember seeing my Big Red 3-wheeler had a speedometer add-on option that was mechanical with built it gear reduction, I just can’t remember where it attached (If they are even still available).

Edited by UncleJerm76
Grammar police

KC9KAS
21 hours ago, UncleJerm76 said:

Yes sir I did, tried google and youtube. all I could find on YouTube were electric gauges, no mechanicals. Did you find somthing I overlooked? It wouldn’t be the first time! :handgestures-thumbupright:

No, I did not....sorry.

21 hours ago, UncleJerm76 said:

The older ones ran off of the front wheel!

• Like 1

UncleJerm76
2 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

No, I did not....sorry.

You are correct, now I remember. Wonder if I could make it work off the shaft to the tach :think: Sounds like it would be fun. Already at a 90° angle too. :handgestures-thumbupright:

4183E099-C20B-43AA-AEC7-95033C40AF9B.jpeg

KC9KAS
10 hours ago, KC9KAS said:
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:40 PM, UncleJerm76 said:

I had a "brain fart"...The speedometer ran off the front wheel, not the tach.

I have only been riding for 50 years...you would think I would have remember that!

• Like 1

UncleJerm76
3 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

I had a "brain fart"...The speedometer ran off the front wheel, not the tach.

I have only been riding for 50 years...you would think I would have remember that!

Its all good, I was actually talking about using the speedometer sending unit to the tach because it would be much easier to fabricate for use on a motor shaft :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by UncleJerm76

Eglijim

You need to check the gearing for the input and the ratio of the tach you have are compatible to get an accurate read of crankshaft rpm.  Most mechanical bike tach's were driver from the timing chest so half c/s rpm and frequently driven by a flat link plate from a slot  to the points drive with an external 90 degree gearbox .  Much easier but maybe less satisfying  to go down the route of an electronic tach which will measure the pulses from the H/T lead (if you are on petrol) ?.

UncleJerm76
7 hours ago, Eglijim said:

You need to check the gearing for the input and the ratio of the tach you have are compatible to get an accurate read of crankshaft rpm.  Most mechanical bike tach's were driver from the timing chest so half c/s rpm and frequently driven by a flat link plate from a slot  to the points drive with an external 90 degree gearbox .  Much easier but maybe less satisfying  to go down the route of an electronic tach which will measure the pulses from the H/T lead (if you are on petrol) ?.

Much easier for sure but can’t find any electric gauges that have that era-correct look to them of a 1961 diesel tractor tach

Eglijim
2 minutes ago, UncleJerm76 said:

Much easier for sure but can’t find any electric gauges that have that era-correct look to them of a 1961 diesel tractor tach

We normally fitted "Elliot" 3inch analogue dial gauges for the correct look on classic race (and road) bikes as on my 1953 Vincent racer.  0-8000 rpm. They are triggered from the low tension side of the ignition coil. Not great for a very low rpm diesel.

If using a mechanical unit be aware they can be clockwise or anticlockwise driven and can be  1:1, 2:1 or 4:1 ratio.

Right angle drive gearboxes (motorcycle) are available and fairly inexpensive to fit to a custom flange depending where you can find a suitable and accessible drive shaft.

Maybe a light aircraft  unit would work well  as they are usually calibrated  from 0 to 4000 rpm

• Thanks 1