AlexR

Got a "new" C120 Wheelhorse

Sarge

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-aerospace-protectant

https://www.amazon.com/303-30306-Protectant-Plastic-Fiberglass/dp/B000XBCURW

I usually get it at JC Whitney - there is one of their main warehouses near me and they carry their full line in stock - as well as Wizard's paint protectant , which I use on everything else .

Aerospace 303 was designed for marine and aircraft use - and yes it works excellent and does not leave a nasty film for dust to adhere to or leave streaks . Tonneau covers , convertible tops , vinyl seats (it is slightly slick) , black plastic trim on vehicles (lasts far longer than anything else) and even on rubber trim/seals (won't stick in the winter) . It's biggest thing is it protects these things from drying out and being destroyed by UV rays from the sun . My trucks sit outside - both are known for cracking their dashes and steering wheels - they look new and will stay that way , treated twice a year .

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

AlexR

Got parts! I installed the new valve spring and checked the clearance again still good. And then installed the headgasket, went with minimum torque which was 25 ft-lbs

I was going to switch the whole throttle shaft over, so I would have a ball for the throttle. But I broke a screw when putting the plate back on the shaft. So I pounded out the ball from the old shaft drilled out the new shaft hole a little bit and hammered it back in. (Not quite that simple but I was able to do it)

I drained the oil, and sprayed a can of carb cleaner through the bottom of the engine.

Tomorrow I am going to pour some oil through the bottom of the engine to clean it up a little bit. And add oil, and then see if she fires up.

20171103_181805.jpg

20171103_211832.jpg

20171103_211844.jpg

Edited by AlexC120

AlexR

Got it running this morning but didn't really have the time really run it much.

I did also buy some 91 non ethanol fuel to use. 

gwest_ca

Your spark plug wire may not be connected to the plug. Looks like the boot is pushed down the wire.

Garry

AlexR
58 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Your spark plug wire may not be connected to the plug. Looks like the boot is pushed down the wire.

Garry

It is connected, I don't like the wire though, pretty crappy haha. I am going to try to find one with a 90 degree elbow for the spark plug sometime but for now it works 

c-series don

Were you able to connect the choke cable and have it work correctly? I just bought one of those aftermarket carbs and the little plate that you hook the cable to was 180 degrees out of position. I had to cut the tab off and now it's up for choke off, down for on. This would normally drive me crazy but I only use this particular tractor a couple days a year and I'm the only one who does. I only paid 23 bucks on amazon for a brand new carb so I guess I'll live with it. 

Were you able to connect the choke cable and have it work correctly? I just bought one of those aftermarket carbs and the little plate that you hook the cable to was 180 degrees out of position. I had to cut the tab off and now it's up for choke off, down for on. This would normally drive me crazy but I only use this particular tractor a couple days a year and I'm the only one who does. I only paid 23 bucks on amazon for a brand new carb so I guess I'll live with it. 

Hmm, I guess I was a little impatient with the submit reply button!! Oops 😬

AlexR
4 hours ago, c-series don said:

Yes it was correct and worked fine. This is the carb I bought Amazon carb

On the photo it shows it flipped the wrong way but mine was correct. 

15099061328791863593197.jpg

Edited by AlexC120
  • Like 1

AlexR

So the sputtering is still happening I will replace the coil sometime because I want to anyway. But.. I am wondering have any of you ever had a problem with the automatic compression release valve sticking? Like releasing compression while its running?

AlexR

Did some mowing today it runs really good other then that sputtering. 

20171106_174854.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

:text-coolphotos:

• Like 1

AlexR

Tractor runs pretty smooth now been mowing with it and it does great. 

Got some time yesterday and today to paint the rims.

And a while back I also replaced the trans oil which it needed shifts smoother now.

P_20180804_205826_vHDR_On.jpg

P_20180805_150727_vHDR_On.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Keith of kent

You say i the gearshift is smoother now.

I'm sure you wouldn't do this, but you're not shifting gears with it moving, are you?

Re the sputtering, have you replaced the condenser?

Nice looking WH, mines a 73 C120 Raider 12. it's a worker so not as pretty as yours, here's a couple of pics, the first as it was when I bought it in 2008 for £100 (about $130). The other one is as it looks now and towing a scarifier (backwards) around my yard.

It worked but because it was only 12" wide it took forever. I have since got a Westwood scarifier for my Westwood tractor  :)

DSCN0908.JPG

DSCN3352.JPG

• Thanks 1

AlexR
On 8/7/2018 at 3:53 AM, Keith of kent said:

You say i the gearshift is smoother now.

I'm sure you wouldn't do this, but you're not shifting gears with it moving, are you?

Re the sputtering, have you replaced the condenser?

Nice looking WH, mines a 73 C120 Raider 12. it's a worker so not as pretty as yours, here's a couple of pics, the first as it was when I bought it in 2008 for £100 (about $130). The other one is as it looks now and towing a scarifier (backwards) around my yard.

It worked but because it was only 12" wide it took forever. I have since got a Westwood scarifier for my Westwood tractor  :)

DSCN0908.JPG

DSCN3352.JPG

No I don't shift on the fly but it just goes into the gears smoother. It doesn't stick I guess is the word for it.

No I actually didn't I got the tunes all right and put the old spark plug back on.. That new NGK didn't work I was having trouble starting it all that put the old spark plug back in and started right up.

AlexR

Pulled the trigger and ordered some Deestone 4.00-8 tri ribs and the Deestone 23x10.50-12 AGs for the rear. Can't wait to put them on.

The rear tires on it now are the wheelhorse brand are they worth keeping or no?

• Thanks 1

MarkS

Can someone verify for me how the engine mounts on a c-120. Im used to my C-125 where it has the plate and blocks it mounts on. On my C-120, when I sit the engine in the frame, it only lines up with holes on one side.

Ed Kennell

The two bolts on the right side are inside the frame rail.  The engine base is tapped for these two bolts.

AlexR

I can't say for sure how yours should bolt up as mine technically isn't a C120 it's a 73 no name but this is how mine mounts

P_20180811_193546_vHDR_On.jpg

P_20180811_193605_vHDR_On.jpg

P_20180811_193620_vHDR_On.jpg

P_20180811_193630_vHDR_On.jpg

AlexR

Got some new rubber in the mail. Not the tires yet though.

2dqpkk4.jpg

30u34gw.jpg

• Like 1

AlexR

Well I don't have a hood ornament so I decided to fix that. But in a unique yet original way.2vcvrrk.jpg

So started with a logo and stretched it out and then printed it out and transfered it on a block of hardwood which I used a scroll saw to cut out.2uzcfid.jpg

Worked away at it with the drill press to shape it, not the most efficient way but using the tools I got.2z7px1l.jpg

And then after working away at it with a utility knife and a x-acto knife and sanding.zy6otv.jpg

And finally where I'm at right now with primer.

200shf8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

I likeee!!!!!!

• Like 1

AlexR

Got some regal red and got the first coat on and man I can't wait to finish painting and get it on!28rforl.jpg

• Excellent 2

AlexR

Have yet to clear coat it but this is what it looks like on the tractor debating on painting the eyes and nostrils black opinions?wlyceu.jpg

2akeihv.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

AlexR

rasrjn.jpgWell I messed it up temporarily wasn't thinking and used acrylic lacqour clear coat on the enamal paint and it didn't react well.

AlexR

Got the horse fixed and mounted 

1znn701.jpg

And I got the new rear tires new front ones should be in tomorrow so I took the old ones off with 2 large flathead screwdrivers2mha5gj.jpg

Rear rims where pretty good inside not bad at all.s1iwpi.jpg

Front rims not so much but they aren't anywhere near as bad as some of you guys got it wire brushed them and they shined right up 

2cnh4lx.jpg

Getting them painted up now so I can mount new tires tomorrow

24o0or4.jpg

• Like 1

AlexR

New Tires are on!!! Love the new look.

I will need to take one of the front tires off sometime during removal or installation I must have punctured the intertube so I will need to patch that.

P_20180816_180943_vHDR_On.jpg

P_20180816_180955_vHDR_On.jpg

Edited by AlexC120
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3