AlexR

Got a "new" C120 Wheelhorse

ericj

pull the bowl of the carb and clean it, that may take care of your problem without a complete tare down and cleaning of the carb. just started 2 314-8 that have been sitting for several years from as rotten as the gas was that was in them. I just drained and removed the bong and fuel shut off valve wiped out the tank and replaced the bong and shut off with new ones. removed the fuel line from tank to carb, cranked the motor over till i had fresh fuel through pump, dropped the bowl and cleaned and started them up. the carbs may need taken off and cleaned better but they run half decent now.

eric j

• Like 2

AlexR

Took the carb apart and cleaned it up put it back on still has sputtering... but it doesn't need to be choked to run now. So I think its the timing/points so I will try to buy a feeler gauge tomorrow. And might buy a new coil as well. 

• Like 1

WHX??

I would wait on the coil till you try points first ...I have replaced a few  coils with your symptoms and never seemed to help. :twocents-02cents: Sounds like you may have the problem on the run tho... triple check those needle settings and try some sea foam. I would guess yo maybe have replaceD crap fuel lines and added a quality fuel filter?

@ericj either you have to tweak your spell checker or you have been watching too much of Fast Times at Ridgemont High... where exactly is the bong on a horse?!?!?:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

AlexR
1 minute ago, WHX12 said:

I would wait on the coil till you try points first ...I have replaced a few  coils with your symptoms and never seemed to help. :twocents-02cents: Sounds like you may have the problem on the run tho... triple check those needle settings and try some sea foam. I would guess yo maybe have replaceD crap fuel lines and added a quality fuel filter?

@ericj either you have to tweak your spell checker or you have been watching too much of Fast Times at Ridgemont High... where exactly is the bong on a horse?!?!?:lol:

Yeah thats a good idea. I will buy some fuel lines and filter. It is a K301 engine. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ericj
15 minutes ago, WHX12 said:

I don't know what the proper name is but the rubber bushing that the shut off valve goes into. wish some days I had that excuse why I do the things I do :hide:

eric j

• Like 1

WHX??

Rubber BUNG... :lol:...your excused..for now!

Edited by WHX12
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

Bong, bung, grommet, bushing.....makes cents, scents, sense to me ...right Mike @squonk.    :confusion-confused:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, WHX12 said:

have to tweak your spell checker

Spell check doesn't care what word you use; so long as it is a word.

Image result for bong

• Like 1

AlexR
14 hours ago, ericj said:

I don't know what the proper name is but the rubber bushing that the shut off valve goes into. wish some days I had that excuse why I do the things I do :hide:

eric j

Is that shutoff valve on the fuel pump or is it the one on the fuel tank?

squonk
10 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Bong, bung, grommet, bushing.....makes cents, scents, sense to me ...right Mike @squonk.    :confusion-confused:

I prefer doo-hingis when I’m not sure of the proper terminology! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ericj
7 hours ago, AlexC120 said:

Is that shutoff valve on the fuel pump or is it the one on the fuel tank?

tank

eric j

• Like 1

AlexR

So I replaced all the fuel lines as well as the filter, drained the gas tank set the points to .020 adjusted the float down a hair because I had fuel coming out of the carb. I also saw what you meant about the fuel shutoff rubber piece but I just got a inline fuel shutoff. Put fresh 93octane fuel in and messed with the carb settings for a while it runs pretty good but it still has the occasional sputter its not effecting it running it just bothers me because I want a smooth running engine.

I will put seafoam in the gastank tomorrow adjust the carb somemore and if it still has problems try setting the points system from probably about .016 to .024 

Edited by AlexC120

AlexR

Can anyone tell me why there are little puffs of smoke coming from a louver right under the carb?

20171021_095040.jpg

JimmyJam

That is the cover to the oil breather. Inside you see a small mesh-like filter. You can buy them. 

AlexR
4 minutes ago, JimmyJam said:

That is the cover to the oil breather. Inside you see a small mesh-like filter. You can buy them. 

That makes sense thanks! I probably need to check my compression now.. make sure its not low and blowing back into the crankcase.

Ed Kennell

Looks like a good time to take the breather off for a cleaning.  And check the valve clearances while you are in there.

Make sure you put the breather back together correctly.    Check the manual....do not assume the PO put it together correctly.

• Like 3

ericj
6 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Looks like a good time to take the breather off for a cleaning.  And check the valve clearances while you are in there.

Make sure you put the breather back together correctly.    Check the manual....do not assume the PO put it together correctly.

i had a 312 that I thought I knew what I was doing, but it took me 3 times to get right :no:follow directions

eric j

• Like 3

AlexR

Removed the breather checked it checked valve clearances it was in spec .008-.010  for intake and .017-.019 for exhaust checked compression it was 70 psi so I took off the head and cleaned everything there was a bunch of crap that I cleaned off lightly ran some high grit sandpaper around the valves to clean them off put head back on (i know I used the same headgasket) but compression was the same after I was worried until I read the manual which said its hard to get accurate reading because of the automatic compression release.

Ed Kennell

So, is it still puffing out the breather?

AlexR
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

So, is it still puffing out the breather?

Haven't started it yet, need to buy some carb stuff and possibly a headgasket.

I did have it running on Sunday cutting grass and it was actually running pretty good. 

• Like 2

AlexR

Bought some stuff for the tractor today gotta wait for it to ship here but once I get it I will have quite a bit to post. Got a air filter, sparkplug, headgasket, a cheap carb gonna see if it works if not I will use the gaskets from it. (Don't worry I will keep the old carb and probably get  rebuild kit for it later) and I got a valve spring for the intake because it looks like it collaped a little. And I did add seafoam to the oil as it looks like there was some moisture in the engine.

I confirmed the exhaust valve lifts a little bit on compression stroke which is why my compression reading is not good. Glad its not the rings.

Also cleaned the breather the reed is still good as well. 

20171026_202125.jpg

20171026_202154.jpg

20171026_202731.jpg

20171026_203214.jpg

20171026_203822.jpg

• Like 1

AlexR

I stand corrected just removed the spring.. it is broken, good thing I bought one.

20171026_205541.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

AlexR

Cleaned up the horse today. Really cleaned off the steering wheel. And worked on the wiring a little bit. Just waiting for parts right now. 

20171027_202142.jpg

20171027_202131.jpg

20171027_202115.jpg

20171027_202407.jpg

20171027_202048.jpg

• Like 4

Sarge

Aerospace 303 will keep that seat and wheel like new for a very long time .

Nice 120 , btw...

Sarge

• Like 2

JimmyJam

Sarge Where do you buy Aerospace 303?