AlexR

Got a "new" C120 Wheelhorse

AlexR

Bought this C120 for $500 from a old guy didn't realize it when i bought it and its not the sellers fault he never put it on but somebody made new mounting brackets for the snowplow.. ok so thats not so bad but they cut the frame to short so I can't turn the plow it can only be straight. I will eventually either buy another plow or weld it a bunch lol. 

The deck is in pretty good shape it has a few rust holes not bad someone must have repainted it but I can't figure it out as it has all the decals all in good shape. The guy said that the belt was bad but i took the cover off and it was just the tenisoner spring broke bought a new one from tractor supply for $4.

The motor sounds good but it is having a few issues it doesn't always run smooth and it sputters sometimes but at high throttle it runs fine. I will get into that soon when I have a little time. 

Overall I am happy with it just a little bummed out about the plow. Right now I just have some chains hooked up to it so I can raise it up, to at least get me through this winter.

20171015_211441.jpg

20171015_165559.jpg

20171015_165540.jpg

• Like 9

608KEB

Is there a ID Tag? It's on the left side of the tower.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@AlexC120 That is a nice looking C-120!

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Glad to have another "Hoosier"!

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Thanks 1

Retired Wrencher

Alex :WRS: like every one said very nice looking. Keep an eye out on all seals. Not sure if that is the original engine because of the cradle mounts for the engine. If it is a 1980`s model.

• Thanks 1

charging10

nice c120, one of my first WH tractors 72 charger10 came with a modified short frame snow plow ,its closer to the front wheels but works good.

• Thanks 1

953 nut

:WRS:       That is a fine looking unit, obviously well cared for and ready for a few more decades of service.   :text-coolphotos:

8 hours ago, AlexC120 said:

motor sounds good but it is having a few issues it doesn't always run smooth and it sputters sometimes but at high throttle it runs fine.

If you add some Seafoam to the gas it will probably help. Also, only use non-ethanol gas, the ethanol does nasty things to the fuel system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Racinbob

Interesting. That's a 76 or 77 based on the steering tower, solid mount engine and no hood ornament but the hood decal looks to be what they used starting in 78 but shortened probably to eliminate the model designation which was on that decal at the time. Outstanding looking machine. :)

In addition to what Richard suggested check the points.

• Like 3

Pollack Pete

Pretty clean looking C-120.Also.........how do you keep your garage floor so damn clean?Have fun with your new toy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell

Really nice C-120.   Any welder will be able to lengthen that plow frame or there are extensions made for the 520 tractors that just might work.

• Like 2

WHX??
3 hours ago, Racinbob said:

no hood ornament

Holes are there for it Bob... no matter ... but someone at some time  has loved that tractor, very clean looking! :handgestures-thumbupright: Sounds like you did good on the price too!

Any chance that could be a plow for a short frame fellas? I know nothing about the different plows made through the years.

Carb may need cleaning/adjusting or seafoam as Dick suggested.  

49 minutes ago, Pollack Pete said:

how do you keep your garage floor so damn clean?

LOL I think he drains his oil INTO the pan like yer supposed to Pete! My pan has  runneth over :lol:

:WRS:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Racinbob
29 minutes ago, WHX12 said:

Holes are there for it Bob... no matter ... but someone at some time  has loved that tractor, very clean looking! :handgestures-thumbupright: Sounds like you did good on the price too!

Gadzooks! I didn't see those. Good eye Jim. That would indicate a 74 or 75. No matter. It definitely is a good looking tractor. :)

• Like 1

Pollack Pete
1 hour ago, WHX12 said:

LOL I think he drains his oil INTO the pan like yer supposed to Pete! My pan has  runneth over :lol:

Have you been peeking in my window watching me drain my oil?Never fails.I ALWAYS drip at least a little oil on the floor.

• Excellent 1

ericj
4 hours ago, Racinbob said:

That's a 76 or 77 based on the steering tower, solid mount engine and no hood ornament 

the flip seat, not flip fender pan tells me it should be a 76 or 77, 75 and older had the flip pan, but who knows what PO might have changed or modified, someone might have even mounted a cool hood ornament on it or swapped hoods, not that I have ever done such a thing :hide:   :ROTF:

eric j

• Like 1

rmaynard

There is no shift pattern plate or parking brake lever either. Looks more like a '73 frame with later model fender pan.

SPINJIM

C-120 is one of my favorites.  It's my workhorse around the yard.

The plow frame might just be one made for the 'short frame' tractors.  There are / were extensions made so that they could be adapted to a long frame.

Good luck with it.  Looks like a well maintained Horse.

Jim

• Like 1

AlexR
19 hours ago, 608KEB said:

Is there a ID Tag? It's on the left side of the tower.

20171017_174808.jpg

10 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:       That is a fine looking unit, obviously well cared for and ready for a few more decades of service.   :text-coolphotos:

If you add some Seafoam to the gas it will probably help. Also, only use non-ethanol gas, the ethanol does nasty things to the fuel system.

I probably will use seafoam sometime as and I will probably take the carb apart sometime as well to see if its all clean and passages are clear as well as inspect the gaskets.

10 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Interesting. That's a 76 or 77 based on the steering tower, solid mount engine and no hood ornament but the hood decal looks to be what they used starting in 78 but shortened probably to eliminate the model designation which was on that decal at the time. Outstanding looking machine. :)

In addition to what Richard suggested check the points.

I checked the points a little last night I need to buy a feeler set though to set them.

7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Really nice C-120.   Any welder will be able to lengthen that plow frame or there are extensions made for the 520 tractors that just might work.

Yeah I will probably weld it myself whenever I get fed up with not being able to rotate the plow, I do professional snowplowing in the winter so it will probably irrate me haha.

7 hours ago, WHX12 said:

Any chance that could be a plow for a short frame fellas? I know nothing about the different plows made through the years.

Carb may need cleaning/adjusting or seafoam as Dick suggested.  

No I can see where someone cut it and rewelded it as well as the mounting brackets are homemade. 

The house is actually my father-in-laws he built a new house so I am renting his old house from him. So its a matter of time before that floor gets kinda dirty haha

• Thanks 1

AlexR
5 hours ago, ericj said:

the flip seat, not flip fender pan tells me it should be a 76 or 77, 75 and older had the flip pan, but who knows what PO might have changed or modified, someone might have even mounted a cool hood ornament on it or swapped hoods, not that I have ever done such a thing :hide:   :ROTF:

eric j

It actually doesn't have a flip seat its on folded leaf springs and the seat pan does flip back the guy I bought it from said its missing the ornament

5 hours ago, rmaynard said:

There is no shift pattern plate or parking brake lever either. Looks more like a '73 frame with later model fender pan.

It actually does have a parking brake lever its just farther back behind the seat pan then its supposed to be

rmaynard

Sounds like a "Johnny Cash" special.

• Like 3

gwest_ca

Garry

• Like 1

Racinbob

Yup, a 73 'no name'. Most definitely a mixture of years but what the heck. That's one of the wonderful things about Wheel Horses. Parts interchangeability as well as attachments. I've already had many comments about the fact that I'm running a 76 1948" mower deck on my 2005 and the 42" deck from the 2005 on the 1976. :)

• Like 3

ericj
1 hour ago, AlexC120 said:

It actually doesn't have a flip seat its on folded leaf springs and the seat pan does flip back the guy I bought it from said its missing the ornament

sorry I looked and didn't see the latch lever for the pan to flip. I'm use to the Auto not the 8 speed, when I looked closer I see the latch on the left side on the frame rail side panel. I have a 73 12-8 speed that's been on the back burner for way to many years, but it don't look god to get to any time soon, some day though, good luck and by the way it is a nice looking tractor

eric j

• Like 1

AlexR
1 hour ago, ericj said:

sorry I looked and didn't see the latch lever for the pan to flip. I'm use to the Auto not the 8 speed, when I looked closer I see the latch on the left side on the frame rail side panel. I have a 73 12-8 speed that's been on the back burner for way to many years, but it don't look god to get to any time soon, some day though, good luck and by the way it is a nice looking tractor

eric j

Yeah its easy to miss.

Thanks!

Pushed some limestone for my father-in-law tonight.

So at 0 choke the engine cuts out pretty bad and between 1/4 and 1/2 choke it runs good other then a little sputtering and when you idle down it sometimes really sputters and died once or twice. 3/4 and full choke are pretty much what you would expect from being choked.

20171017_191511.jpg

20171017_200914.jpg

• Like 1

AlexR
1 hour ago, Racinbob said:

Yup, a 73 'no name'. Most definitely a mixture of years but what the heck. That's one of the wonderful things about Wheel Horses. Parts interchangeability as well as attachments. I've already had many comments about the fact that I'm running a 76 1948" mower deck on my 2005 and the 42" deck from the 2005 on the 1976. :)

So its not actually a C120 then? Probably someone put those stickers on? Would explain why all the stickers look so good. 

And its 14hp?

Racinbob

Probably not but it doesn't matter. The decals are newer and some parts swapping has gone on but there's not many 40+ year that haven't seen that. Info off the engine sticker would tell us what HP it is. :)