Petes Horse

Welding rear ends

Petes Horse

I'm rebuilding my d160 rear and noticed the bottom was blown out and welded back together. I almost couldn't tell.

Does anyone know if they are cast iron or steel? Has anyone ever welded one? I guess the most important question is should I trust it?

Thanks.

R. L. Addison

They are cast iron. I brazed one up in 74 or 75 and it held. I talked to some welders at work first to be sure on the technique. 

(must have gotten some pretty good instruction, I am not a welder)!

Cvans

If done properly it shouldn't be anything to worry about. Both brazing and nickel welding have nearly the same strength as cast iron. 

daveoman1966

It may surprise you, but the LT and RT trans case sides are the same part#s ...103636 and 102617  ....for the C-1`20 C-160 of 1973 thru 1977.  So, depending on the model year of your D-160, I probably have a case side for you.  Near Meadville, PA..  The D axles are much longer, but the internals of the trans are otherwise twins.

Fine me hereat this email address:

daveoman@windstream.net

• Like 1

pacer

Yep, its pretty common to have a welded case - like addison I brazed my D180 some where in the mid'80s and its still going. The devil in that job is getting those %$#^* axle hubs off:ranting:  in order to get to the case!

Petes Horse

Thanks for the info. I took it apart for a leak and there was silicon for a gasket. I may try brazing over some of the low areas on the gasket surface. Who ever did it did a nice job though.

Dave, I was wondering about the c145 cases. The only differences I saw was the parking pawl not drilled and what looks like deeper cut inner bearings on the d. The best part is I think I can use Wheelhorsemans new 1533 bearings. Its a very good option. Thanks for the heads up.

pfrederi
32 minutes ago, Petes Horse said:

Thanks for the info. I took it apart for a leak and there was silicon for a gasket. I may try brazing over some of the low areas on the gasket surface. Who ever did it did a nice job though.

Dave, I was wondering about the c145 cases. The only differences I saw was the parking pawl not drilled and what looks like deeper cut inner bearings on the d. The best part is I think I can use Wheelhorsemans new 1533 bearings. Its a very good option. Thanks for the heads up.

Silicone is a terrible thing to use in a Sundstrand hydro.  The tiny holes in acceleration valves are easily plugged by just a bit of silicone that comes loose.

• Like 1

Petes Horse

Yup, the silicone was like snot worms all over the place. Whats most amazing is none of the metal shavings from whats left of the parking mechanism ended up in the hydro motor. Not going to be putting that back in.

NCM_0184.JPG.ea0ea41b3908e00377802ad309dd8205.JPG

pacer

That park brake thing is a disaster waiting to happen! I have 3 'big D's' and I recently went into the last of the 3 for an oil leak and while in there I cleaned all of it out - that makes all 3 of them park brake free:woohoo:  As an added benefit I also removed all that tangle of linkage down to it and gained a MUCH smoother motion lever.