Lane Ranger

The BAD THIRD GEAR -A Close Up!

Lane Ranger

Here is a  photo I took this afternoon of a Bad Third Gear and an Old but  better/good one!

057.JPG

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

WHX??

Been ther seen that Lane ..you do know Lowell  @wheelhorseman has them new? Unless you want to open it again? :)

• Like 3

wallfish

It doesn't take much gear grinding to round over those 3rd gears.

Every tractor missing a belt guard is suspect to this.

• Like 6

Cvans

2 hours ago, wallfish said:

Every tractor missing a belt guard is suspect to this.

I had not seen this before. Thanks for the info. 

Edited by Cvans
  • Thanks 1

Racinbob

Here's another shot of them. The left one is a NOS gear I got on Ebay well before Lowell was offering them. It's now in my Suburban. It's pretty clear why this is a weak spot in these transmissions. 59e5e03dc5a4e_3523Comparison.JPG.43125e7c19e1654b146e54d76978f0d9.JPG

• Thanks 1

Lane Ranger

Even makes my teeth hurt  Bob!  The older  worn but good ones  are  steps away from slipping ! 

The years take their toll on my teeth as well!

I guess there is good reason for machinists and dentists!

• Like 3

Racinbob
7 hours ago, Cvans said:

I had not seen this before. Thanks for the info. 

No belt guard = grinding gears unless some other method is used to stop the drive belt. Also, ignore the blurb in the older owners manual that states "depress the brake/clutch half way when shifting while in motion". Always come to a complete stop. Another thing is input shaft play. With the transmission in 3rd gear if there's any in/out play of the input shaft that equates to the input gear disengaging from the inner teeth of the 3523 gear that same amount. :)

• Like 2

WHX??
2 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Another thing is input shaft play

Good point Bob as I woulda never thought of that. Could a guy shim the input shaft during a rebuild to take care of that?

9 hours ago, Cvans said:

. Thanks for the info. 

Your welcome, the 3523 gear conundrum  is brought up here a lot. For more info put 3523 in the search block and you will find a few threads.

image_thumb_jpeg_96d5cfbc2279163efdf026e31fced1b7.jpg

Edited by WHX12
  • Like 2

Racinbob

That's exactly what I did on my 5010. I had about 1/10" in/out play in 3rd. I could actually feel the shifter push the rails sorta past the balls until the 3523 was fully engaged with the input gear. I would let go and it would pull back in place which separated the two gears a bit. I purchased a variety pack of shims from Grainger and experimented until I liked the feel when the detent balls latched it into gear. Zero play is your friend. :)

• Like 3

WHX??

Sounds like a lot of putting together, measure, take apart, shim, put together, measure, take apart, reshim, put together...stop me at any time here! :lol:

Might be worth it tho!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Racinbob

Actually not Jim. I measured the play with a dial caliper and I think it was on the second shot I was happy.I definitely think it was worth it.  :)

• Like 2

stevasaurus

As long as we got back into this 3rd/2nd gear thingy again.  I think we should mention "5003 and 5010 Service Notes" paragraph #3 for everybody that would order or buy the 3523 gear.

Transmissions before Serial # 11628...the spline shaft and the 2 fork gears have 10 involute splines.  On transmissions after Serial # 11628 the spline shaft and 2 fork gears have 11 involute splines.  It should be noted that these parts have the same part number...ie...3rd/2nd gear in both styles is part # 3523 and so on.  If you count the teeth on Lane's, RacinBob's and Lowells gears...they are all the 11 tooth style.  Make sure you count the teeth in your gears.  Lane does have some of the 10 tooth style, if he would like to add some pictures.  :)

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Lane Ranger

**** Steve mentioned some mof the splined gears for the shifters are 11 teeth and some are 10.

I have three sets.  two are 11 tooth and one is 10.    The Input /drive shaft gear  will ride smoothly in the third/second gear for either the 11 or the 10 tooth spline gear set.

Not the greatest pics here but just did fast a few minutes ago.

In first photo the one on right has 11 teeth and the and one on the left has ten.   Both of the lower imput/drive shaft gears will interchange!

019.JPG

020.JPG

021.JPG

• Like 4