TravelinJavelin

having carb issues trying to solve ?

TravelinJavelin

my question is that when i try to go up hills it tries to lean out then to keep it going i run the choke up to qaurter to get up and doesn't sputter then cut back to normal and runs fine.....so whats going on any idea's i adjusted it run it til 11:00 pm last night up and down the drive way...til my wife couldn't take it no more told me to come in or elsese LOL!

R. L. Addison

Float too low? That would be my first thought.

• Like 1

953 nut
14 minutes ago, TravelinJavelin said:

wife couldn't take it no more told me to come in or elsese LOL!

59e54a0c3ab57_womanwithagun.png.2b957271b5e2d13a579079f6e4c046cb.png        :ychain:  Oh, on the carburetor,  :text-yeahthat:  probably float too low.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

jay bee

I agree, float too low, but also check clogged screen in fuel tank shutoff valve, dirty inline gas filter or weak fuel pump.  One last thing, maybe some old, crappy fuel???

• Like 2

TravelinJavelin

well 4 of those suggestions i can rule out fuel filter bowl has been cleaned,   fuel pump works very good, brand new fuel line, fresh 93 octane fuel.....now i had my friend go through it and has done a pile of them but his eyes are messing with him as of recent and i noticed when the float was hanging down well at the way i thought ought not to hang but i could be wrong but i didn't say anything.....does anyone have a pic how that is to hang so maybe i can adjust it ?

• Like 1

pfrederi

Download the Kohler Service manual here.  There are two measurements for the float.

carb.JPG

• Like 3

TravelinJavelin

thank you very much!

oliver2-44

Is the throttle shaft top hole in the carb body worn where it lets air get sucked through it   If so you can install a bushing in the recess at the top of the carb body where the original felt seal went.  You can get Kohler bushing #2515802-5. Or you can go to Ace or a hardware store with all those drawers of small parts and get a Hillman bronze bushing #58087. (I like to stack 2 in the recess) If the throttle shaft is a little tight in the bushing take a 1/4" drill bit and turn it by hand to open it up a tiny bit.   The carb on my 312-8 needed partial choke intermittantly to run OK. I installed the Hillman bushings and was able to dial in the carb and it runs so much better.  

PS thanks to others on RedSquare that previously shared this

• Like 2

TravelinJavelin

i did notice mine is a tiny sloppy