Apical

New member from England

Apical

Hello folks, thanks for letting me on the forum.  I have Just got hold of a 518-H that had stood in a barn for 3-4 years, with a change of fuel it started well.  I have since replaced the solenoid, battery, air and fuel filter, spark plugs and now need to replace the V belt that goes from the mower deck to the drive pulley, does any of the members have an easy way of threading it through the front two pulleys near the tensioner to the drive pulley, any photos would be a great help, thank you in advance.  The Wheelhorse machines look very well made.

Doug.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum

What is the width of cut? 36", 42" or 48"

Side or rear discharge?

Garry

Apical

Hello Garry, thanks for the reply.  Its either 42 or 48 and side discharge, I will have to measure it.  Garry, how many way are there to level up the deck, I can see the holes by the rear deck wheels that you drop it into lower holes to lower the back, but are there other methods?

The site looks well laid out and easy to navigate.

Doug.

953 nut

:WRS:    The item you are referring to is called a "Mule Drive"  and the 1 1/8" nut needs to be removed and the pulley cover removed to route the belts around them.

• Like 2

Apical

Thanks for that, I have dropped what you call a mule drive by pushing in the pin but wondered if there was a way without taking the mule apart (and nobody wants to dismember a mule, its cruel)

but I will get out there tomorrow and try it.  Any of the member here drive muscle cars because I am missing my 79 Trans Am, a BMW does not put the same smile on my face as an American muscle car.

Doug. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs:.

No way around it,  like Richard stated above, you must take the mule drive apart to install a new belt.

I usually leave it attached to the tractor for support while loosening the nut.  You only need to remove the guard, but if you take everything  apart, make sure you get the spacer and pulleys in the correct position.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3

Apical

Thanks Ed, I do appreciate the advise given.  

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca

This manual should represent what you have. It is one published for the export models and includes the 36" and 42" models also.

I believe they are the same as what we have. The gage wheel adjuster is on the right side of the 42" decks and on the left side of the 48" decks.

Garry

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Miss mine too. 

:WRS:

59e50fc017f64_3Picture900.jpg.d0e0544704b6c7558a501121f8f4f6e0.jpg

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Welcome to Red Square, have fun looking around the site . Ask questions and someone will answer. @WVHillbilly520H has a nice muscle car. I am sure he will you about it.  I have an 1984 El Camino SS but no muscle in the car ( 155 horse power )

Apical

Unfortunately Jim most of the post 78 motors had to take a loss in power due to your new regulations, I have seen some pretty powerful El Camino's at shows and drag races in the Uk.  Nice AMC Craig.  Quite a few friends of mine drive Ford Lightnings some down in the low 10's and even breaking into the 9's 1/4 mile.  Always fancied a Charger or Challenger, mind you having driven my friends Tri Chev I quite fancy that as well.

Thank you Garry that's kind of you to post the download, I will have a look at it, though my tensioner is in the centre front.

Apical

Hello Garry, I have tried it three times and it keeps showing as failed to load PDF.  I will keep trying, thanks.

Ed Kennell

Hmmm, It opened OK for me.

953 nut
7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

make sure you get the spacer and pulleys in the correct position.

Thanks ED, I should have mentioned that. One little tip, when you put the last spacer on prior to the guard just put a little silicone caulk on the threads and push the last spacer over it, that way it will stay put the next time you change a belt.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

neil

Welcome to Redsquare Doug , I'm just down the M5 from you in Somerset , this is a great site for all your wheelhorse needs , 

meadowfield

welcome to the group Doug!   have fun...

Apical

Thanks chaps for the welcome.  After the advise on the site, I have now fitted the new belt having first removed the mule drive. Also I have sorted out the leveling of the deck and it now cuts a lot better, the long threaded bolt that allows the front adjustment of the deck was quite loose, so it allowed the deck to move around, and if you hit a slight bump the affect was the blades missed section's of lawn.  I am now enjoying using it.

For the UK Wheelhorsers, "the rollers at the front of the deck, are they easy to buy in the UK, are they used on other makes".

Thanks again.

Edited by Apical

Stormin

Welcome to RS, Doug. :greetings-clappingyellow:

Apical

Somerset Neil, bet you have never drunk any cider, nice part of the world.  I think your right it does seem a good site for information.

Stormin, what part of the Lakes you from, my mum used to live in Ambleside, love the Lakes, but you also have to love rain.

Forgot to ask does anyone on the site have a 518-H?

Edited by Apical

Stormin

I'm just outside the Lakes, Apical. Near Silloth on the Solway Plain. Definitely no shortage of rain this year. :rolleyes: