Fordiesel69

Kohler K Series / Magnum Crank Failures

Fordiesel69

http://www.mytractorforum.com/44-small-engines-repair/157546-walker-mc-w-kohler-mc16aqs-need-opinions-2.html

Very bummed to stumble across this failure.  Owner seemed to be very good at maint.  I was wondering if the application in a Walker unit has the engine at a very high net torque for prolonged periods made this fail premature, or if it was indeed a faulty casting.

Searcher60

We will never know. I'd want to know how many RPM's this thing had been running. My K341 was turning over 3800 RPM when I bought it home. 

rmaynard

The K-series engines are designed to run all day long at 3600 rpm. You can do impeccable maintenance, but if the engine does not get enough oil to the rod bearing, this is what will happen. I didn't read enough of the thread to see if he was cutting on a slope or not. Long term running with the engine on an angle will prevent enough oil from being slung to where it is needed, resulting in catastrophic failure.

Fordiesel69

There was not sign of oil starvation or lube issues.  I agree if could have been set too high of RPM as we will never know.

Searcher60

Just curious. If you rebuild a 1976 k341, which or who's piston and rod would you use? Old piston is a Style C.