445FEBronco

1276 Sundstrand Hydro filters?

445FEBronco

OK figured I would drain all the old fluid out and change the filter before I bolt the rear end up. When I looked up the filter I have about a kazillion optional filters? Which filter would be larger to hold more fluid and have more filter area ? Thanks for the input.

953 nut

The correct filter would be a NAPA 1410. Do not use an automotive oil filter.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

445FEBronco

Thanks, I wasn’t sure because all the info I found was on a GT model.

Dang 30 bucks, I guess it’s one hell of a filter.

• Like 1

Sarge

That filter will work fine - there is also a WH/Toro filter that is a non bypass with possibly a better micron rating - somewhere around here we have a listing of the correct filters and what they do but can't find it at the moment . Be really careful with that pump/motor in that hydrogear transmission - keep it surgically clean inside and change oil once a year or several times if working it hard - takes very little dirt/particles to destroy it which is why they have a somewhat bad reputation compared to the piston to piston later versions . Good news is , if it ever blows up and can't be rebuilt the newer piston to piston C-series whole axle assembly will bolt right up - they were a direct replacement/upgrade on a dealer bulletin I've read somewhere - so that's good news as they are quite plentiful . Externally you'd barely be able to tell it was ever changed on your '66 as a bonus...

That hydrogear is far tougher and stronger than most would ever give it credit for - if you can find one that wasn't totally neglected and abused , which most were - mine is more than strong enough to break the frame like yours and I suspect it will continue to live quite awhile longer if taken care of .

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

445FEBronco

Hoping to get back on it this week, getting close though. Gonna flush it out a bit upside down the fill it with fresh fluid, I checked it out before I took it apart and it was not exceptionally loud and seemed to work fine. I have the same Hydro in my Power King 1218 and it has been good to me after 30+ years of use. 

Edited by 445FEBronco
  • Like 1

Platinum556

What fluid is best to use in these rear ends?

953 nut
5 hours ago, Platinum556 said:

What fluid is best to use in these rear ends?

:WRS:

The fluid you use will depend on the type presently being used in the transaxle. They came from the factory with Dexrom ATF (automatic transmission fluid) which is pink colored. Some units were changed over to 10 W 30 motor oil when they underwent major servicing and that would have an amber color just like any automotive motor oil. It is best to stay with the type of oil that is in the unit now. 

Take a couple minutes and introduce yourself to the group,  we also like pictures of your :wh:,   :wwp:https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/47-introductions/

• Like 3