RedHorse54

Need some advice

RedHorse54

Hey everyone, the other week I cleaned the side panel, and the fenders of my 855 with degreaser, big mistake... the paint changed color and not doesn't match the rest of the tractor. Does anyone know a tip to make the paint of the tractor match again so the side panel and fenders are the same shade as the hood? I want to keep the original paint job. Thanks 

IMG_5263.JPG

JimmyJam

What kinda degreaser did you use? LOL! May have been the old patina under a lot of grease aged under sunlight or the elements??!

slammer302

you may try rubbing it down with sum motor oil or wd40 it may bring the color back.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Perhaps it's time to degrease the rest of it and go with a new shade? Don't think you will get back the original patina since it looks like the degreaser took off more than grease...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 4

Chris G

I would have to say I think you would be best degreasing the hood and then oil bath all of it to darken it up a bit.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

It's hard to stop half way through the process, and go back. 

Keep going forward, continue using the same process you used on the hood. 

Then cut and buff the original paint I see lurking there under that patina/greasey hood. 

That tractors original paint will easily glow again, if you just keep on going. :teasing-poke:

• Like 4

ronhatch

Time to disassemble, degrease everything, wet sand  and repaint it. I'm sorry, but I guess I don't understand wanting to preserve the "old Patina".  It's not like an antique piece of furniture that belonged to Thomas Jefferson.  Again, I'm sorry.

Edited by ronhatch

SPINJIM

I had the same thing happen to me when some degreaser got on a fender and  turned the paint to a milky red.   I spray painted it with some Rustoleum Clear coat, and it returned the paint to the original color.    I was surprised how easy it was.   Worth a try before you go any further.   Let me know if it works for you.

Jim

• Like 1

formariz
10 hours ago, RedHorse54 said:

Hey everyone, the other week I cleaned the side panel, and the fenders of my 855 with degreaser, big mistake... the paint changed color and not doesn't match the rest of the tractor. Does anyone know a tip to make the paint of the tractor match again so the side panel and fenders are the same shade as the hood? I want to keep the original paint job. Thanks 

IMG_5263.JPG

Yes, degreasers will change the color on your wheel horse. I don’t know about newer wheel horses but on the older ones it is a definitely yes. also learned that the hard way.  Seems that the older paint composition is not resistant to many newer chemicals. I even found that some waxes have a similar effect.

• Like 1

JoeM

I used a purple degreaser on my kubota, it even dulled the plastic hood and powder coated stuff. I used nufinish car polish, came back 90 percent.