pacer

Front axle spindle - what models interchange?

pacer

Am rebuilding my 414-8 steering - whew was it loosey goosey! - have got everything covered except right front spindle. No doubt several other models will interchange so I was hoping somebody here could give an example/s of other models.... In case you can read the dims -- wheel shaft is 3/4 x 4-1/4" and axle is 3/4x3-1/4" You CAN see how mangled it is!

And yes, Im gonna put thin is wanted too, but was curious as to what other models would fit.

2017-10-14_11-36-00.gif.65ae69baf6a95fc2a0c3c9ea38fcd87c.gif

953 nut

Any 300 or 400 series with the same size front tires would work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JimmyJam

Ouch! Must have been a whamp, whamp ride!!!! LOL! Let me look at my spindle bucket o'parts for you to see what I have!

• Like 2

gwest_ca

110212 spindle has been replaced by 115426. Shows a very poor representation of what models used it.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/parts/115426/

Good picture of the taller spindle used on some of the 300-Series that used the smaller tires and wheels.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/parts/115428/

Garry

• Excellent 1

pacer

To the rescue again Garry, using that part # I found an NOS one on the bay for a good price! so will get it ordered up and all the steering will be nice and tight again!

Thank you!

Sarge

Might want to check the axle itself , probably ground down pretty badly from the looks of that spindle wear . I generally sleeve all of mine - spreads the load out better and stops the wear issue .

Sarge

pacer
47 minutes ago, Sarge said:

sleeve all of mine - spreads the load out better and stops the wear issue .

Yeah, that what Ive been doing as I go along - have rebuilt the fan gear and its mount and the shaft. Have to custom make most of the sleeves/bushings as both parts will be worn - the shafts below the 3/4" and the sockets over, so thank goodness for a lathe/mill! or I would be searching for all those pieces! But the spindle is different, I dont know of any easy way to fix it....

Sarge

I've discussed those spindles with several welding/fab shops and the consensus is the same - they are probably heat treated steel rod stock after bending the shape in a die press . Building new ones would be a real pain and require a lot of setup work to get the angles dead correct - if it were off even slightly it would show easily and wear the front tires in a hurry . They could be welded up and re-turned in a 4-jaw lathe chuck , but it would be a really tricky process since it's not a 90* angle . Other option to to use to separate pieces of round stock and a machined block in the middle with the correct calculated angles - but there are a lot of differences in the different models of tractors and their front axles . The D-180 I have , for instance , actually has a 2* negative rake to the rear stock and the 18* spindle angle - would be interesting to make a block like that on a mill but I don't have the knowledge/experience at mill work myself . If the blocks could be made and use 4140 round stock you'd have a seriously strong spindle - I'd also consider at the same time doing some upgrades to the axle for full length bushings and bottom support bearings for all the variations - that would make them last forever if they are kept greased even occasionally .

The way I rebuilt the Ross steering box and front axle on my D made it steer as good or better than power steering - even with fairly sticky v-bar front tires on concrete you can spin the wheel with one finger - well worth the time and investment in tools . Someone really needs to take the reigns and get something in the works for new spindles - they are becoming quite limited in supply and some are nearly impossible to find even used for restoring these old machines . If someone could make the machined parts I can handle the welding of the exotic alloy here with the tig and required filler rod - I keep a pretty good assortment for those types of alloys . The truly hard part is figuring out the correct angles - almost every axle/tractor has a lot of wear on it from age and calculating those angles off the center pin in the axle isn't easy - at least with what I have here for tools . I suspect there are probably 20 different variations if you only go back to the early 60's - that's quite a task...

Sarge