JHorseman

Stainless Steel Exhaust Stack

JHorseman

I am in the process of restoring a 72 Raider 8 and decided I would beef it up a bit with a custom stack. Currently the motor is out of the tractor and am waiting for a rod, piston, cam shaft and bearing set. Motor was in total self destruct mode when the previous owner didn't check the oil 🙄🤦🏼‍♂️ So I made this stainless stack out of sch 5, 2 inch pipe and reduced to 1". Decided I didn't like to looks of threaded pipe so I found a couple valve parts to act as the flanges, and am going to weld the other flange to a threaded nipple and screw into the engine block. Let me know what you think! Trying to decide if I should leave it flat, mitre it or weld a turnout on it! 

Jake

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0625.JPG

IMG_0626.JPG

IMG_0627.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG

Also, I'm going to hold out for now until I can hear it run straight piped, but considering rolling a stainless screen down to 1" and packing gap between the stack and the screen with muffler packing. Has anyone else ever done this? Looking for ideas and comments are welcome!

Jake 

• Like 8

Chris G

Looks good! I can't really help with the packing and that. But I will say that I would definitely make sure you brace that stack. You don't want to do all that work to eventually have a cracked block or so on.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

You're gonna need one of these...

• Like 3

Jerry77
7 hours ago, Chris G said:

definitely make sure you brace that stack.

Really nice work..:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Sarge

I did fire the K482 just once with straight pipes - sounded like a cannon on rapid fire at idle...lol . Here it is finished prior to painting...

Sarge

• Like 5

JHorseman
10 hours ago, Chris G said:

Looks good! I can't really help with the packing and that. But I will say that I would definitely make sure you brace that stack. You don't want to do all that work to eventually have a cracked block or so on.

I was thinking about that. Any ideas on how to brace it? 

Chris G

I would brace it right to the engine

Jerry77
1 hour ago, Chris G said:

I would brace it right to the engine

Instead of welding something to the stack, you could probably devise a collar for the stack and brace it to the engine..be a shame to tarnish that stack...:)

• Like 1

Chris G

Ya i probably should of clarified on that a little more.

• Like 1

JHorseman

Maybe utilize a head bolt to mount a strap that would be welded to the exhaust? I'll have to see my options once I get the motor in. Thanks for the ideas guys!