a.dumont

Kohler 18 HP Lacks Power

Searcher60

You are missing something. Are you certain both cylinders are firing? Check the governor. Recheck compression with a known quality gauge. Your large difference doesn’t ad up in the previous checks.

a.dumont

Changed out the voltage regulator last night, and now it's charging well. Still don't feel that it's running the way everyone describes it should. The link between the carb and the governor arm was replaced with some sort of hand crafted part. Can anyone tell me the exact length of their link from center to center? What holes are your springs in? (I have it set as the manual states, but I question if the was a later revision I'm unaware of. Service bulletin or something.) Is there any other adjustment to the governor that is possible? (Attached is the page from the manual that I'm referencing. It states that if the governor is not sensitive enough, to move the spring.)

On 10/29/2017 at 8:20 PM, Searcher60 said:

You are missing something. Are you certain both cylinders are firing? Check the governor. Recheck compression with a known quality gauge. Your large difference doesn’t ad up in the previous checks.

The difference was due to the fact that I forgot to open the throttle, and have the engine warmed up first. The gauge is fine.

Governor.pdf

Edited by a.dumont

Sarge

You really need to go through that twin cylinder engine manual and set that governor up properly or it will not open the throttle correctly . I'd imagine that throttle linkage arm is still available and it would be a good idea to replace it with the correct parts . I can get pics of my setup to the governor but that could change depending upon what year your engine was made .

Sarge

a.dumont

I found a replacement link, I just need to know the correct length.

a.dumont

Yeah, someone made that throttle link, and I'm not taking credit for it. I found some nice adjustable ones online, but they have different ranges. Need to know the correct length from someone that has a K482!

1104171639.jpg

gwest_ca

With the engine not running will the throttle control open the carb throttle plate wide open? It should.

Garry

• Like 3

Sarge

I'll try to get a pic today and a length measurement - mine is in pieces since I'm working on the pump (again) but it's easy to get at it . You'd think with the spec and serial numbers you would be able to find the exact part but on some stuff there are gray areas - those governor links are one of them on Kohler engines .

Sarge

a.dumont
On 11/5/2017 at 8:22 AM, Sarge said:

I'll try to get a pic today and a length measurement - mine is in pieces since I'm working on the pump (again) but it's easy to get at it . You'd think with the spec and serial numbers you would be able to find the exact part but on some stuff there are gray areas - those governor links are one of them on Kohler engines .

Sarge

Sarge,

I found an original replacement link on ebay and ordered it. Can you just tell me what length you link is set at? No picture needed.

Sarge

Sorry about that - got a good weather day and had to finish mowing - forgot all about it . I will do that this morning later and post up the length .

Sarge

Sarge

Mine measures 3-1/4" ball to ball centerline . When you get the link you'll still have to go through the governor settings per the engine manual . I forgot to mention - if you end up with issues it could be a worn spring on that arm which controls the throttle opening speed . On engines I've had with throttle response issues I always replace that spring and the links first - usually fixes the issue .

Sarge

20171109_101146[1].jpg

• Like 1

a.dumont

Thanks Sarge. Link came in, and I will be replacing it this weekend.

Sarge

You'll need the engine manual to go through those settings between the governor itself as well as the carb . That length should be fairly close but make sure you put a tachometer on that engine and don't run it over 3600 revs - when those twin opposed engines let loose it's not pretty . I find it's a lot easier with an old fashioned paper book manual over the digital copies - at least easier to swap back and forth to get the right settings for the engine's spec number in the Kohler world . Reprints of those manuals tend to have much lower quality photographs compared to any original manual - the Kohler and Sundstrand manuals are a great example , I'm still on the hunt for an original Sundstrand manual since all the printed copies done in later years lack the detail needed .

Sarge