Brian1054

Rear blade as a hiller?

Brian1054

Any ever tried to use a rear mounted blade as a hiller/row maker in well worked soil? That may not be the correct term, but you get what I'm saying right?

I realize it would put a lot of space between rows, but I'm wanting to be able to pull wagon loads of compost and grass clippings between the rows during the summer.

Thanks

SylvanLakeWH

I bet it would work just fine...Give it a shot, take pics and let us know how it worked out!

:twocents-02cents:

953 nut

The blade would need to tilt to the side to do the trick, I think @WVHillbilly520H posted a while back with a blade that would work for you.

• Thanks 1

Brian1054

Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression that they could be angled like a front dozer blade. I see them pop up on cl pretty cheap once in a while and that's what got me thinking....... Dangerous I know

445FEBronco

I would just make a sleeve mount hitch then anything garden tractor size fits. Agrifab and hundreds of other companies make implements and seeders.

Brian1054

Oh I know. I was shocked to find out the number of attachments that used to be made for these things that aren't anymore. I picked up an 8 inch brinley moldboard this summer and quickly realized that is the way to go instead of fighting a tiller. It works well with the 1054 even though its a bit undersized. Let's just say it can be somewhat exciting with the suburban though.

obone

Just a FYI if you turn your disks in it will also hill. That's how a lot of people do it. If you have a disk set. Rear blades do angle. Do a search on here for potatoes.

Brian1054

That was something I was looking at also. I don't have a disk yet. I read so many things about how they don't really work in garden tractor size that I was kinda on the fence about getting one. Would the older ones be better than a newer one? I have to assume that like everything else the older ones were heavier.

Thanks for the replies guys. This is my first year using a garden tractor and this site has been very helpful with helping me figure things out.