rthomp26

Snowblower

rthomp26

So I’ve come across the snow blower for what I think is a steal ($150) and the owner claims it’ll fit my 416-H. Before I make the drive I thought I’d check with some of you experts to verify, and also seek any other info you might be able to offer on this unit. See anything wrong with it? Thanks in advance. 

30913E43-729B-4B57-B19E-FB67A6857C78.jpeg

rthomp26

So I’ve come across the snow blower for what I think is a steal ($150) and the owner claims it’ll fit my 416-H. Before I make the drive I thought I’d check with some of you experts to verify, and also seek any other info you might be able to offer on this unit. See anything wrong with it? Thanks in advance. 

gwest_ca

Can see the tube that lifts the unit but there is what we call a flag that goes into the end of the tube we don't see.

The left and right housing extensions are mounted upside down. The front lips should point forward.

Looks similar to this one. Click on the picture.

Garry

rthomp26

Thank you Garry. Do you feel that it is priced according to what you see. 

WHX??

It might be, that about the going rate for one. Check the cross drive bar prelube  bearings, the drive gear and chain as well as the idler sprockets. Most important are the condition of the teeth on the auger and the auger bearings they can be a real pain if those need replacing. If the teeth on the auger gear are hooked or pointed the price goes way way down. These things can all add  up fast if they are needed. The  chute rotator is always a pain for all of us that have one so good luck with that. Like Garry mentioned make the flag is with it and the lift assist spring. These parts have a way of getting lost.

Personally my top dollar would be 100 and that's if everything is coorect and ther. These are pretty common yet and seems to me to pop up alot.

jay bee

:text-yeahthat: I agree with all of the above.  I see the upper chain guard, but notice the lower chain guard is missing.  No matter the condition now, I would figure I would put another $100 or so in it.  That said, now you're in it for $200 or $250, that sounds good to me.

Jim

Ed Kennell

I have used several of these blowers and they do a pretty good job in everything but the wet sticky stuff.     This one looks to be in pretty good condition.

No major dings in the auger, still has the WH decal,  it has the front attach-a-matic mount that will clip on your 416 and it as the adjustable wheels that really makes it easy to move around.

Like stated above, we don't see the flag, the belt tensioning spring , the lift assist spring and the lower chain cover.   These items would not be a big concern for me, but they can be a bargaining chip.   Springs can be purchased at ACE hardware and any welder can make a flag and chain guard.

Like Jim stated, the condition of the bearings in the jack shaft , the sprockets , and the auger should be checked for radial movement and freedom.

If the bearings are tight or noisy or have side play, the price goes way down.

If the bearings check out OK, I would be good with $150.

PS  Like "good eyes Garry" said, the side wings need switched.  About half the blowers I see have the wing extensions on backwards making it harder to steer.

• Excellent 1