Walhonding520

Finally Rebuilding Carb

Walhonding520

I am just getting to rebuilding the carb since I’ve been busy. While taking everything apart, I noticed quit a bit of play in the shaft for the governor fins (I just don’t know what else it’s called). Is this normal and can this play be what is allowing extra air in my carb and causing my surging issue?

Ed Kennell

If you are talking about the throttle plate shaft,  yes, if there is excess clearance, air will be sucked in causing poor erratic performance.

Do a search for throttle shaft bushings and you should get several posts on this easy repair.

Walhonding520

That’s it. The shaft connecting the pictures below. Thanks for the fast replies. I finally have a little hope in getting it running good again.

8AF3C004-16E2-4C05-B1C6-CF2B333F2EEF.jpeg

200018EA-8A5A-41E0-8622-3E92269BCBB6.jpeg

• Like 1

Walhonding520

I do not have an ACE hardware anywhere close.  Has anyone done this replacement and have a suggestion as to somewhere else I can find the bushing?  I have done a few searches but have not come up with anything? Thanks in advance.

rmaynard

What carburetor are we talking about? The discussion in the link provided refers to Kohler carburetors, and your pics don't look like a Kohler. If that's an Onan, check the parts manual for your engine. There may just be a complete throttle shaft rebuild kit available, but expect to pay big bucks for it. :wacko:

Walhonding520

yes it is the onan.  I know most onan parts are expensive but with all the experience on here, you never know what someone has tried and worked.

Walhonding520

I have what I believe is the correct part number.  142-0343. If this is the one, you are correct rmaynard, it is 24.00.

Walhonding520

Now that I pulled things apart and looked closer, there is no bushing in the carb, just the shaft through the side of the carb. The hole for the shaft is two different diameters, getting smaller towards the inside of the carb. On parts diagrams I do not even see a bushing to replace.