TravelinJavelin

W.H. charger 10 or 12 would like some feed back from users

TravelinJavelin

well i 've found a crazy deal on this and from what i can make out of the pic looks like a 69' has the tecumseh engine and is hydrostatic drive comes with mowing deck and snow plow.....what i'm concerned is on the hydro drive units how rugged are they and would you plow snow with one? also what are any weak points if any?

oldredrider

The hydros are rock solid, IF they have not been abused. The weak point is the magneto in the Tecumseh. When they go bad, you'll have to refinance something to get a new one.

• Like 1

slammer302

Oldredrider is correct i've seen many and have owned a few with bad coils. If price is right the attachments may be worth the purchase. 

oldredrider

You can always run it 'til it gives up and just replace the whole motor with a Kohler. Good used Kohlers go for about the same price (or less) as a coil and last forever.

• Like 1

TravelinJavelin

oh yeah well i will say i've had vgood luck with tecumseh in coldest of weather .....starts everytime or on a ariens blower anyways

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, oldredrider said:

You can always run it 'til it gives up and just replace the whole motor with a Kohler...

:text-yeahthat:

Jav, if the parts total is worth the asking price... buy it.

The Techy  coil might run fine for you as others in your past. But if not, Kohler-ize the rig and you've lost nothing but some time.

520hC-120

The hydros are solid, I plow with mine every year and no problems 

ohiofarmer

Buy the tractor--- but check the woodruff key and keyway.  If the owner did not keep the hub nuts tight it could blow out the hub and mess up the axle . Best way to check it is pull the hub and examine it [do it right by research on this site]

I bought a plow tractor and eventually the key ate the hubs. I plan to rebuild the axle with JB weld and never use it for anything but mowing lawn.

Ed Kennell

All good advice above.    

I'll say it again...My  Tecumseh powered C-120 hydro   has plowed snow and mowed forever and has never required anything but normal maintenance.

• Like 1

Dan693

All I know is my first experience with a WH was a Raider 10 with the Tecumseh I bought from a farmer In Bainbridge Indiana and was a total piece of crap. I gave the guy 400 and got soaked. A total POS that never ran right. He knew it was a POS since he had some hick rebuild it but never said a word. Live and learn I guess.

Lost at least 500 when I sold it. Not to mention 500 hours of headaches.

The best we can hope for is......never again.

TravelinJavelin

well my main reason for buying this is to see what kind of acto f congress to mount the plow on my 953 and go from there i'm still rebuilding my snowblower ..just waiting for parts and time time will be easy this week on vaca! thanks for all your opinions!

Edited by TravelinJavelin

TravelinJavelin

i think i solved the mystery of what model this and believe it to be a charger 9 which i guess they used 10hp tecumseh?  how confusing LOL

wholdguy

Hi--

Just one more comment here.  My 1970 Charger 12, hydro & Tecumseh came to me from 2 previous owners.  It was pretty well taken care of before I bought it.

I only use it for mowing or pulling a yard cart around the property.  I can say that the motor or hydro have never given trouble during the 4 years I've owned it.  It has plenty of power for mowing or going up and down a hilly yard and pulling that yard cart loaded to the top with black dirt for the garden.  I have been very happy with this Wheelhorse.

G.