W/H JUNKY

Charging system

W/H JUNKY

Hi everyone. I have a C105 that iam working on. Not sure if it charging. My question is should the tractor stay running after the positive cable is remove from the battery. Thanks in advance.

953 nut

Presuming the charging system is working properly the coil will continue to see 12 volts if the battery is disconnected while running.

Don't know if you have the parts PDF so here it is.

Best way to see how the charging system is doing is to record the voltage with it running (should be 14+/-) and not running (should be 12 +/-).

W/H JUNKY

Ok this is what I checked today. From the engine the to white wires are putting out just over 30 volts AC. Now when I plug the connector back into the  voltage regulator its only put out 12.3 volts DC on the orange wire. Witch  is the same at the battery. Should the voltage reg be putting out more like 14+/-. Maybe change the Voltage regulator 

520hC-120

My 1968 Raider 12 has a battery switch that you can turn off while running and it stays running I don’t know if it should or not though

953 nut
50 minutes ago, W/H JUNKY said:

Should the voltage reg be putting out more like 14+/-

Yes it should at half throttle or higher. Before buying any parts I would suggest that you clean and tighten all electrical connections including grounds. The grounding of the regulator itself is important too.

• Like 1

gwest_ca
1 hour ago, W/H JUNKY said:

Ok this is what I checked today. From the engine the to white wires are putting out just over 30 volts AC. Now when I plug the connector back into the  voltage regulator its only put out 12.3 volts DC on the orange wire. Witch  is the same at the battery. Should the voltage reg be putting out more like 14+/-. Maybe change the Voltage regulator 

Is the battery a known good one and is it charged up? That is the only way to get honest test results.

Garry

• Like 1

tunahead72
18 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Is the battery a known good one and is it charged up? That is the only way to get honest test results.

Garry

Good point.  12.3 volts isn't especially strong, it's only about 60% charged if you believe some of the literature from the battery manufacturers.

W/H JUNKY

Ok thank you guys. I did run a jumper wire from the neg. Side of battery and clipped it on one of the fins of the voltage regulator still the same reading. I do have another voltage regulator. And  it is a good battery. So I will try the other voltage regulator in the morning. Thank you guy I will let you know how it goes.

Ok well change the Voltage regulator out with a new one. And away we go charging good now. Showing 14.7 at the battery. Thanks guys. You guys are a  big help as usual. 

• Thanks 1