Ed Kennell

Good Morning America

Sarge

Around here they can get picked off by the combines during Harvest - some are curious enough they'll walk right up to a hunter and try to start a fight . Friend of mine had 2 try to attack him when he was tracking the first one he shot - so took home 3 that day - all nice dressed weight too . I've often wanted to go deer hunting but got so many friends that do it and get so much meat dropped off I can't handle it as it is around here . The population is high enough now that some areas are allowing hunts in residential towns in their parks and such - crazy even thinking about it but even living here in a small town they come through here in the evenings and aren't afraid of much of anything . If nothing else , the body shops in this area do a lot of business in the fall/winter from deer strikes - insurance rates prove it living in Northern Illinois as well . I only had my '14 Dodge pickup 2wks before tagging one enough to crack the bumper trim on the right front corner - still need to get that fixed as it's cracked the urethane paint - I hate Bambi...

Sarge

• Like 2

WHX??

Thanks for sharing Ed ...reminds me of my past three weeks chasing bear!  Hopefully you don't mind me sharing a couple hunting pics here

20170926_171745[1].jpg

I should have took more when the leaves had turned, beautiful colors, but my wife chides me for taking pics in the stand...she says I am supposed to be hunting! :lol:

Edited by WHX12
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell

Post em up Jim.....:wwp:     Any luck with the bruins?

Here is a pic I took at 250 yds of Bambi's Dad.  I watched him  all summer.    In 3-4 weeks, he will be chasing Bambi...hopefully under my tree stand.

IMG_7841.thumb.JPG.abad28e47c53ab33ba340049071e4aff.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Nope sadly to say bruins didn't want to cooperate. My wife had a real nice opportunity to harvest but got bear fever real bad and missed. Both her and I and a buddy drew tags. We have to wait about seven years to draw a tag... up to ten or more in some areas. Buddy did manage to connect on a very small one. Had some really good images of bears on trail cams but left them at the cabin. :no:

Did get this pic in the backyard feeder ..we named they Mike & Mike Spike How often you get a pic of a elk & whitetail together?!?!?

IMG951264[1].jpg

This brute was seen wandering in our driveway.

20171006_171726[1].jpg

20171006_200909[1].jpg

Again sadly we do not have a huntable elk herd In WI.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

Fall is my favorite time of the year just for that reason! Got a nice 8 point opening day or archery so I guess it is time to do some small game and turkey hunting!!

Mike

• Like 3

AMC RULES
5 hours ago, Sarge said:

I hate Bambi...

:text-yeahthat:

Ed Kennell

Here's a few I "shot" last month in Cameron Co. Jim.

IMG_8273.JPG.d2177abe606e54be6631fe9a7eccee60.JPGIMG_8267.JPG.158f7a3289b2ab7b109050eaccf150d3.JPGIMG_8279.JPG.bddbd9191613487a21282c935d18a4ba.JPG

• Like 6

WHX??

Nice Ed, a quick :text-google: of that county shows it situated between large tracts of state & national forests. & another shows it's quite the herd with a hunt able population more info here http://www.pgc.pa.gov/wildlife/wildlifespecies/elk/pages/default.aspx and mine here http://clamlakewi.com/elk-info/ for those so interested.

I find it interesting when man hunts an animal to expiration then attempts to bring them back.  

elcamino/wheelhorse

Thanks for the great pictures guys . I live in Richmond Va about 3 1/2 miles from the center of the city and we have deer here all year long. We have two does , their fawns and a young buck that visit our yard twice daily for the acorns. They are here so much that we really don't notice them , they are just part of the landscape. When I go outside they check me out and go on eating. 

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Well, Bambi was back this evening.   I watched her for awhile and just as I took a shot, she spun her head making this strange picture.

IMG_8479.JPG.9a302919274a5d0fbb68538448028834.JPG

Then this youngster  raced out of the corn and chased her around my tree several times.     He has to learn...chasing girls can be hazardous to your health.

IMG_8480.JPG.8918c23052a455f1102cc55751831415.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

For you wildlife experts : The deer around my house have more gray hides , while at my mother's ( she lives 20 minutes from me ) the deer have more red in their coloring. Since I am not a hunter I am more confused than normal. Does the difference in the coloring mean anything. 

Ed Kennell

I'm not a biologist or wildlife expert Jim.   But the deer tend to turn a dull gray in the winter and  get a brighter reddish coat in the summer.

http://www.theanimalspot.com/whitetaileddeer.htm

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

11 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

dull gray in the winter and  get a brighter reddish coat in the summer.

Same here Jim...., I always thought is was just mother nature taking care of her own.

oliver2-44

There's speculation that their diet has an influence on hide color. Deer along the river  or a large creek area have a darker black tint to there back vs deer in large pasture and wooded area have more of a red tint.  The speculation is the minerals in there diet (creek bottom vs pasture) affect hair color

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

That could explain the color difference , I live 1/8 mile from James River and about 500 yards from a large creek , while mother lives in a forest / pasture area . Thanks for the explanation. Now I know more than my wife on a subject.

• Like 1