Team70R

Fuel pump boiling fuel!

Team70R

I was mowing with my C165 today and it sputtered and stalled like it ran out of fuel. When I looked at the fuel line coming from the fuel pump to the carb, the fuel was boiling!! Do I need to change the exhaust route or ?

IMG_2929.MOV

cleat

I had a 520 do that and the fuel line was resting against the oil filter getting hot.

Just re-routed it a bit and all was well.

Just re watched your video and it looks like you may just be sucking in air somewhere.

Double check all connections and check the fuel line for a crack.

• Like 3

Team70R

I thought maybe it was just air. I need to get an infrared thermometer. The air cleaner was scalding hot when I brushed against it though 

Ed Kennell

I agree with Cleat, that looks like air.    What are you using for fuel lines?

• Like 2

Team70R
10 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I agree with Cleat, that looks like air.    What are you using for fuel lines?

I'm using the clear pvc type line. I just thought it was weird that it ran fine again after it cooled off

Spareparts

Maybe your cooling fins are getting cloged with grass, blow the shroud and fins on the head with some air

could be the pump is sucking air. Fuel pump might be going out.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Joe Warren
      By Joe Warren
      A guy I know runs all his 4 cycle power equipment engines on 2 cycle fuel. He claimed it reduced engine wear. Aside from the added cost of the 2 cycle oil, are there other downsides. Just curious what you all think. 

Joe 

And now for the rest of the story: I spoke to the guy again. He was a mechanic at a place where they operate a lot of outdoor power equipment; with both 2 and 4 cycle engines. To prevent employees from putting straight gas into their 2 cycle machines, all their fuel got 2 cycle oil mix with it. For them, it was more economical to spend money on oil, than on blown engines and downtime. 

Thank for all the great posts. I found some to be very entertaining.

• JoeM
      By JoeM
      The Ethanol Monster strikes again!
      Got out the pressure washer and went to start it, "no dice"
      Opened the carb and found those typical ethanol pearls, as I call them.
      I used an additive in my fuel last year, Ethanol Shield, did not seem to work very well.
      Not wanting to drive 30 miles for fuel, and still skeptical about if it is true ethanol free.
      Switched over to Lucas additive now.
      Will see.
      FYI
      Joe

• RJ Hamner
      By RJ Hamner
      Let me first say that it ran when I brought it home.  Drove it around the guys yard, tried out the mower, drove it onto the trailer and drove it off the trailer and into the garage.
      I've done a "ground up" restore on the tractor (70 Charger 12).  Swapped out the breakerless for a battery ignition and swapped out the 10 amp for a 15 amp stator, flywheel and regulator.
      Pulled the head, looked pretty good, new head gasket and head bolts.new fuel pump, fuel lines,new switches and wiring, new aftermarket carb, new coil, coil wire, new points, new throttle and choke cables.
      Static timed (twice just to make sure) Have tried Autolite 216's and the hotter 437's. changed the condenser to the high dollar Kohler one.
      It will idle but when I give it some throttle it stumbles or will rev up a little then quits.
      I've gone thru the "trouble shooting " steps multiple time and to no avail
      Anyone got any ideas??  I am willing to try most anything at this point

Bob
    • Team70R
      By Team70R
      Waiting on the eBay electric fuel pump to show up for the C165. Only thing I'm not sure about is what to do with the old mechanical one. Do I just leave it in place or do I need to make a cover plate with the a gasket and remove it?
    • Bigwatersig
      By Bigwatersig
      So I rebuilt carb and replaced fuel pump, thought fuel pump would fix my problems. No such luck! Still stalled out when she got hot. Took apart fuel tank shutoff, cleaned and lubed o ring, knocked some dirt out of vent tube with long wire, blew long fuel line, drained tank and tried some air pressure both ways, tank fuel outlet, and thru vent tube. Doesnt allow hardly any air flow either way? What is between tank and vent tube? A really small orifice, or some sort of pressure valve vent device? Put it back together and ran her with coffee filter banded over cap, NO PROBLEMS! Was so glad to move some dirt that I never tried putting cap back on! I think maybe there was blockage at tank shutoff, valve was very stiff and difficult to turn. Looks like a major ordeal to access fuel tank???
      I will try putting fuel cap on tomorrow, but I had ran her prieviously with cap loose so I think my problem is solved. Vent sure doesnt seem right though?