RJ Hamner

Converting "brakerless ign" to "braker ign" Question

RJ Hamner

Restoring a Charger 12 with a breakerless ignition to breaker ignition.  My theory is .....its only a matter of time before it goes bad so change it now while everything is apart.

The question:  There are three wires coming from the stator.  Two go to the rectifier and one goes to the breakerless coil.

What would be the proper way do do away with the third wire?  Just cut it off? or ???  The book doesn't mention conversions.

Thanks

Bob

oldredrider

Do not cut the wire!  Simply disconnect the wire from the "trigger" and tape it up. Someone in the future may want to go back to "original". 

BTW, a good used trigger sells for around $100. Just sayin'.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

RJ Hamner

Thanks!

R. L. Addison

That is a ten amp charging system and the ignition system uses some of the stator, don't remember voltage. I reworked one of my engines and eliminated the breakerless system, and have parts to change over to fifteen amp on the shelf with the engine (flywheel, stator & rectifier). It will be changed over when the engine is put into service. Sometimes I get a hairbrained idea to do something where I might need the extra power. (I like to play in the snow sometimes in the dark & I want  to know it will go if sits & gets cold also).

RJ Hamner

Yep.  It does snow and get cold in Pekin

pfrederi

Agree do not cut the wire merely insulate it.  The coil and trigger can get you money. List them here for example  10 amp systems worked for years.  If you really want to play at night extensively use the proceeds from the trigger /coil to replace head lights with LEDS

• Like 1

RJ Hamner

Interesting idea. The trigger is fine but the tab on the coil came apart in my hand when I was taken it off. Not sure how the had it together but there was a small piece of bailing wire involved. 

• Like 1

RJ Hamner

You guys got me thinking (always a dangerous thing). I just happen to have a 74 C120 that I bought for parts. Took some tools out to the backyard today and now I have a 15 amp stator and the correct flywheel and rectifier all blasted/cleaned and painted that will get installed as soon as everything dries :D

• Like 2