wholdguy

Best Way to Mulch Leaves with SD Deck?

wholdguy

Hello all, my current problem with mowing the lawn and all the leaves, the 42 inch side discharge gives up furrows of leaves on the lawn.

What works best for attaching to the discharge opening on the deck to force the leaves to mulch into smaller pieces?  This is a 1970's era deck and does not have a disharge chute like the newer models.

Thanks, G.

Jerry77

There are a lot of attachments for that problem...I have always just windrowed them and then keep running thru them until they disappear...I think that is good for the ground too...I use side discharge also.....lots easier than handling them more than once too...:twocents-02cents:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ericj

I bought a 89 520-HC this summer that came with a 42" RD recycler mower deck. I did like said above and windrowed the leaves into row and then got the tractor out that I currently have the recyler on. I was surprised at the great job it did making all the leaves disappear. I'm glad to add this deck to my arsenal of equipment to combat my yard duties. I will also use it when I trim my hedge row to grind up the branches and leaves from that job. I usually use either a 48" SD deck or a 60' deck to mow the yard every week.  

eric j 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
38 minutes ago, ericj said:

I'm glad to add this deck to my arsenal of equipment

Just curious Eric,   How many tractors are required to  qualify as an arsenal? 

You don't have to count em,  just a ball park figure....20, 30, 40, 50......  :coffee:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

ericj

I refuse to answer that on the grounds that I might incriminate myself :hide:

eric j

3 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

You don't have to count em,  just a ball park figure....20, 30, 40, 50......  :coffee:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

953 nut
50 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

That would be an Armada, not an arsenal!        :ychain:

• Like 4

wholdguy

I only own one Wheelhorse and one mower deck.

So, I guess my older mower deck is not the mulching type of deck like the newer ones seem to be.  The leaves basically go shooting out from the mower and aren't chopped up.  I am trying to come up with something to block off the discharge opening to help get the leave chopped.

I am looking at some old screening sitting in the garage.  This has openings of  3/8"  x  3/8".  If I use this to block off the mower, maybe it will start to mulch.  What do you think?

G.

953 nut
2 minutes ago, wholdguy said:

looking at some old screening sitting in the garage.  This has openings of  3/8"  x  3/8".  If I use this to block off the mower, maybe it will start to mulch.  What do you think

That should work, or perhaps some expanded steel.Image result for expanded steel

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ericj
41 minutes ago, wholdguy said:

I only own one Wheelhorse and one mower deck.

So, I guess my older mower deck is not the mulching type of deck like the newer ones seem to be.  The leaves basically go shooting out from the mower and aren't chopped up.  I am trying to come up with something to block off the discharge opening to help get the leave chopped.

I am looking at some old screening sitting in the garage.  This has openings of  3/8"  x  3/8".  If I use this to block off the mower, maybe it will start to mulch.  What do you think?

G.

that's one of the beauty of wheel horse tractors, the decks come out from under the tractors so easy , if you can find a recyler deck you can swap it out for leaf duty and use the SD deck for regular mowing's good luck on what ever you decide to do

eric j 

wholdguy

Yes Richard,

Later this week I will take the screen and attach it to the mower deck and give it a try.

Wish me luck.

Thanks

G.

• Like 1

Tankman
On 10/9/2017 at 9:50 PM, wholdguy said:

Yes Richard,

Later this week I will take the screen and attach it to the mower deck and give it a try.

Wish me luck.

Thanks

G.

Hope it works well. Be sure to post results, we need to know! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Somewhere, don't remember, thought I saw side discharge plugs. :wacko:

Toro mulching kit pictured below.

IMG_0902.JPG

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

wholdguy

So today, I tried this to help mulching leaves with this mower deck.....

Took an old metal license plate and zip tied the four mounting holes to the deck outlet.  I found out that the best mulching action happens when I drive around in reverse.  This chops the leaves the best, believe it or not.

G.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:

I found something similar when mowing a newly seeded area that had been covered in straw.   The rear bagger push mower would only pick up the straw when going backwards.

sorekiwi

I used to cover the discharge shoot with a plug made from a few layers of chicken wire (Mesh).  It worked well, 

These days I pick them up with a sweeper and dump them on the vege garden.

ebinmaine
13 hours ago, wholdguy said:

I found out that the best mulching action happens when I drive around in reverse.

13 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

The rear bagger push mower would only pick up the straw when going backwards.

These things clearly prove that we really DO live in a backwards world.

• Like 1

Sarge

I have found over the years that using reverse does work better with the WH decks - otherwise they just seem to either pile them up in front of it or blow them out of the way instead of cutting them up . My 48" I normally run with dual blades blows them ahead of the tractor the worst due to the additional air flow . Doesn't seem to matter if it's running hi-lift blades or Gators , same problem . There is some success to just lifting the deck to transport height and running into the piles - that seems to work pretty well , then drop it to the mowing height and hit 'em again . I still get better results just picking them up and using the Stihl to mulch/bag/dump them into the trailer . Best thing I suppose is just to use a lawn vac attached to the deck , but a decent one can get really expensive quick . Have found some nice deals on several on CL but they will all need a new hose adapter or one made to fit our decks....something to keep in mind if purchasing used .

Sarge

• Like 1