briankd

leaf season is here

briankd

just started my first leaf pickup for the year unfortunately it won't be the last this year as my neighbors leave theirs lay and they blow over in my yard. between me and my neighbors there are 3 dozen mature maple trees lot's and lot's of leaves and will be getting some seat time in.  

IMG_20171008_122322.jpg

IMG_20171008_122342.jpg

• Like 4

Tankman

Sounds like time for a leaf vac! 

I blow leaves into the woods but, seems like I have thousands of acorns and walnuts.

Is this the year of the walnut? :wacko:

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

Some say its a sine that we are going tohave a hard winter.     Wayne

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

russellmc301

i have the same lawn sweeper i love it. most of mine just blow into the woods 

briankd
1 hour ago, russellmc301 said:

i have the same lawn sweeper i love it. most of mine just blow into the woods 

i need to get me a new lawn sweeper mine about shot i have no where to put my leaves way too many of them . i put em in a pile and have a 20 by 30 tarp rake em onto it and drag them across the road and spread them in the field. usually takes 3-4 trips to get rid of them  

Pollack Pete

Leaf season started here in upstate NY too.Picked them up twice over the weekend.I use a brand X tractor and a Cyclone Rake.Does a great job.Gotta figure out a way to keep the  mice away from the folded up canvas on my Cyclone Rake over the Summer.Has one moe chew hole in it every year.

• Like 1

953 nut
8 minutes ago, Pollack Pete said:

.Gotta figure out a way to keep the  mice away from the folded up canvas on my Cyclone Rake over the Summer.Has one moe chew hole in it every year.

Have you tried putting a couple of mothballs in there?

AMC RULES

:think:  I've noticed...  :dunno:

old oil/greasey rags are left untouched. 

Retired Wrencher
8 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:think:  I've noticed...  :dunno:

old oil/greasey rags are left untouched. 

Craig I guess they only like the good stuff. Picky little buggers.

• Like 2

rmaynard
7 minutes ago, Pollack Pete said:

Leaf season started here in upstate NY too.Picked them up twice over the weekend.I use a brand X tractor and a Cyclone Rake.Does a great job.Gotta figure out a way to keep the  mice away from the folded up canvas on my Cyclone Rake over the Summer.Has one moe chew hole in it every year.

Had that problem too until I built my mouse-proof shed. No problems since. I also hang mine on the wall when done for the season. Before the new shed I got tired of fixing holes, so I left the Cyclone up with the canvas doors open. 

By the way, mothballs have never worked for me. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
17 hours ago, Tankman said:

Is this the year of the walnut? :wacko:

Yes, and of the red oak, white oak, black oak, hickory, and butternut.   All have carpeted the woods with nuts  like I have never seen before.

And the strange thing is, the squirrels are not bothering to bury any of the nuts.

rmaynard
Just now, Ed Kennell said:

All have carpeted the woods with nuts  like I have never seen before.  And the strange thing is, the squirrels are not bothering to bury any of the nuts.

The acorns are so bad here that they are dangerous. My 8 year old grandson got machine gunned by a handful that fell on his head from about 80 feet up. He actually needed an ice pack. I told him to wear his bike helmet. :helmet:  As I was mowing a slope with my walk-behind, I could not keep my footing as my shoes kept rolling on the blanket of acorns. And you are right, the squirrel are not burying them like last year.

Right now as I type, there is a torrential rain coming down. Maybe all the nuts will float to a low spot and I can suck them up with the Cyclone Rake after they dry.