rmaynard

LEAVES - A never ending battle. How do you handle yours?

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

The cyclone rake did it for me, now that I sold it, the landscaper does the job, most of it anyway. I always hated dealing with those pesky leaves.

Glenn

• Like 1

rmaynard

Bringing out the Cyclone Rake again this afternoon. Pictured below is my front yard and back yard. Both were perfectly clear on Monday, so this is what came down in just 6 days. Still plenty more to fall.

leaves_front.jpg.31814917c61bf1ea8fb691eaf894cf15.jpg

leaves_back.jpg.776dcdf9674630f8fec9a51b59bcd1ee.jpg

• Like 4

dclarke

This is what I use, the city burn pile is a couple of blocks away so I haul the leaves there. 

DSC06757.JPG

DSC06759.JPG

• Like 3

c-series don

I remember the lost art of burning leaves. Nowadays people are too stupid to know when is a good time to do it and end up starting other things on fire. So now it's illegal here. Nothing smells like autumn more than burning leaves! 

• Like 4

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:Imagine now...a facebook, or cell phone app telling everyone when it's OK to burn...

the whole town would be on fire.   :angry-extinguishflame:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ohiofarmer

We had a perfect day yesterday to gather the leaves. Our second frost was Thursday night and the high Nitrogen mulberry leaves dropped immediately all in one spot. we blew them into the side ditch and then used the leaf blower to stack them on the 16x20 tarp. It was about 35 degrees, but i had to go down to mt T-shirt to drag them to the thin part of the yard as they are very heavy.and I was getting overheated. I put some maple leaves there as well and they weighed essentially nothing

The raider 10 and 42" SD took them to powder and next year that thin area in the yard should be much thicker.

I have an old Billy Goat yard vac that I want to make into a trailer style leaf blower. Our church is in a little town with aging residents and if you rake the leaves, they need to be hauled away to be good to the neighbors. If I could get that Billy Goat a new engine, the rest would all work out and i could haul the mulched leaves to my place. I just think that it would be a good ministry to show us as caring about our town and neighbors even if you do not attend church at all. Next week we might try to do a yard as a pilot project just to see what is needed for next year.

I might be coming back and asking questions if I do the build.

ON EDIT

So this is pretty weird... In our little group, the minister wanted to know of any community projects we might do. I then said that while i think that CROP walks and things like that are fine, i would never want to ask for sponsors and beg them to pay me for excersising

I would rather see a concrete result of helping out our neighbors. i have been in construction and farming all my life ,and these tough old hands never get a blister except for raking leaves. Older people have thinning skin and get blisters easier than i , so that was my idea of helping out.

The minister met it with great enthusiasm, so i told him to get us a yard or two to someone in need. I did not hear anything, so I just backed off and figured my spare time could go to something else besides building high sideboards for the trailer so i could haul leaves to my palatial estate. Two weeks ago, the go date was set to last Saturday, at noon. On thursday, i texted and asked for the address so I could recon it and plan where to park the trailer and such things. Friday , it was cancelled due to the leaves not falling. RIIIIIIIIIGHT. All you had to do was look, but perhaps he was writing a sermon...   Clearly the guy dropped the ball on this one and i wasted an afternoon building the trailer and another day recsheduling that messed up my work schedule. You live and learn, so what I usually do is just work around the problem and that problem clearly is logistics. Oh, and the weather was absolutely perfect on the scheduled leaf day, so i did my own leaves instead as described above.

i still think it is a good idea, so i might just go to the town council next year and not involve the church group. There are still older people in town who would appreciate it.

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

squonk

Sunny and 50's today so I still had some magnolia leaves to deal with. Got them started into a small pile but then the dogs took over!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

953 nut

I prefer to compost rather than burning leaves. Have been gathering them from driveways, flower beads and landscaped areas for the past four days, six pick up loads so far, a couple more to go. I mow about 1.5 acres and on these areas I use a 42" rear discharge deck and a 42" lawn sweeper. Use the compost to enhance the soil in the garden and don't contribute to air pollution. Also, I live on the edge of a National Forest and can't stand the thought of a forest fire.

• Like 3

Lee1977

I've got up ten loads so far and the oak trees still have green leafs. Six load over at the farm and four load in my yard. Have four or five more load

when the oaks turn loose of their leafs.

This is a vacuum I built around thirty years ago.

SAM_0750.jpg

SAM_0747.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

rmaynard

:text-yeahthat: just vacuumed leaves for 3 hours today, and as Lee said, the oaks still have green leaves. I'll be doing leaves until Christmas this year.

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

@squonk At least your dogs weren't playing in a mud puddle and needing a clean up afterwards.  Second day of leaf duty morrow, Blow them into piles and the 416-8 with the snow blade pushes them to the back of the property. I may finish with leaves by the 1st of the year.

• Like 1

squonk
32 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@squonk At least your dogs weren't playing in a mud puddle and needing a clean up afterwards.  Second day of leaf duty morrow, Blow them into piles and the 416-8 with the snow blade pushes them to the back of the property. I may finish with leaves by the 1st of the year.

The yellow lab has been chocolate a couple of times.  And the black & tan coonhound has looked like a black lab more than once.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Big_Red_Fred

Id say i ate enuf Turkey to blow the steps off ! ;-) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

oh my...

:hide:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mikey the Monkey
34 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

BRF,  easy on the green bean casserole. 

• Like 3

Big_Red_Fred
21 minutes ago, Mikey the Monkey said:

BRF,  easy on the green bean casserole. 

Man, i filled the Depends with those !

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

:omg:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

squonk
9 hours ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

809103512avatar.gif.84a4f724fbe54f05f0b6929db3a2632f.gif  plumber-smiley-emoticon.gif.65cac04587cb37f9725674061d56d61d.gif  228109581avatar.gif.bce06487225fe38b390ce0fd53905024.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

rmaynard

Wow, this train has seriously run off the track...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

rjg854

ya think :scared-yipes:

• Like 2

Sarge

Slowly getting the Agrivating Fab Mow n Vac dialed in and finally figured out why it has an odd sized hose - someone must have kept the original 6" or it got destroyed and one of it's previous owners used a piece of plastic tubing held in with wood screws and expanding spray foam to make it fit the deck adapter . The hose that was on it is a 5" and that doesn't match what belongs on it - they must have cut up the accessory hose for cleaning around flower beds and such and that also explains why the replacement blower inlet adapter was a different size - it is suppose to be a 6" and the current one is the accessory hose's 5" . Got a new deck adapter to get away from the cobbled mess they had made of the correct one and waiting on a new replacement hose to make it all work together  . Should work a lot better and not plug as easily since the current modified one has too many restrictions . I did take some time to make up a couple of steel plates to close up the hole in the back of the blower housing on the engine side - suction increased a lot and with the correct parts it should pull debris a lot better - as it was intended .

Current cobbled deck adapter - stuff like this is expected with used equipment .

5a1986990f966_20171109_0945411.jpg.b8d4d78758663dad563534ec4d5dbdea.jpg

So far - extended the tongue to help the hose clear the Horse like it should -

5a1984a9b8401_20171114_1501391.jpg.e44f9205706f3cd95c41b3ba6b0c62fc.jpg

Made some steel plates to close up the huge hole in the back of the blower housing -

5a1984c0dd4c4_20171114_1315491.jpg.06737c18bcd34e7a5d564da6c2c38bc3.jpg

5a1984dfd76e5_20171114_1315391.jpg.017877867f0ee28301fa07a2eec96f65.jpg

Made a new boot for the top of the hopper - their design was a cheap single layer vinyl that doesn't last long - this is 1600 denier ballistic nylon and will hold up a lot better .

5a1986b9a3070_20171114_1504031.jpg.8756443b36171ba8bde63a144bb04c9a.jpg

The whole town is still full of leaves and the Village has put away their mowing equipment for the year . Last few days of nice weather brought some stiff winds and now the areas I had done look like I never touched it at all , again . My goal is to at least remove them away from areas that I have to plow or use the snow blower on - frozen wet leaves just won't move well and cause too many issues . I pick up the heavy areas and just mulch what is left - looks like I'll finish sometime in December the way it's going - not all the trees here are bare yet . Odd year for sure - we'll probably end up with one of those freak snow storms like last year . Predicted 3"-4" , got almost 11" total of the wet stuff .

Sarge

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Big_Red_Fred
5 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Wow, this train has seriously run off the track...

Thats my doing's on the Derailment LOL, I found the only way possible to clean up the Pine Needles is the Lawn sweeper behind the C125, i have to get it back out, Fresh out of the truck shop getting them Pete's ready for another round, That Sweeper puts a good load of needles in basket, i had a Chipmunk last trip & sum old squirrel was Watchen the Old BRF !IMG_06701.jpg.c5d2c6e08641940c9023826cf028de2e.jpgIMG_06711.jpg.64bf4dcded8530781763d0b7843507ea.jpg

• Haha 3

953 nut

Fred, get off the roof before you hurt yourself!      :ychain:

5a19ba4ec65c5_oxymoronornjustplainmoron.jpg.2e11f0b02797062294b914958715caa1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Big_Red_Fred
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

5a19ba4ec65c5_oxymoronornjustplainmoron.jpg.2e11f0b02797062294b914958715caa1.jpg

Thats my Coffee spot, or New Years firing the old 1187

• Like 2

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

The D.O.T. and OSHA both say to use 3 points of contact when entering/exiting a vehicle or equipment.

Both feet, right shoulder = 3.

Seems fine to me.... you know, sorta...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1