Sign in to follow this  
Country Cadillac

Self powered brush hog

Country Cadillac

Good mornin...I been told my wh D-160 doesn't match up to any brush hogs because I don't have a rear pto.. So I was hoping someone might have been in the same position and purchased one that uses a small gas engine on top and you can just tow it behind your wh. And when did they make them and what brands ? Or am I way off base here ? Sure would appreciate some imput on this if possible... :thumbs: ...Ray

Eriks Red horse herd

Hey :thumbs: I too own a D series Tractor mine is a D-200. I also do not have a rear pto. wheel horse did make a optional rear pto and you can every once in a while find them on e-bay but you better have deep pockets! Wheel horse did'nt make a bush hog mower. But now days you can buy one from farm stores. I do think Swisher and maybe agrafab makes the gas engine ones. I started to make my own pto for my D-200 in between many of my other projects. See the problem I find with original wheel horse pto is the end coupleing does'nt fit standerd pto shafts thats why I'm building my own you can get pto splines and parts from any farm supply. Then you can use any standerd pto finish mower or brush hog .I hope this helps.

Rollerman

I dug this thread up from the RS basement. :thumbs:

It's more geared toward a tiller but will explain "Thanks Steve" the differances with a D series rear PTO on both the import D 250 & domestic D series tractors when trying to use currently availabe PTO driven implements.

Read on.......

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...92&hl=pto+speed

Country Cadillac

Hey Eric thanks for your info and Stephen yours as well. At least now I have a whole lot more infor that I did this mornin and thats what great about this site, people are willing to help out. Now if I could just get rid of that darn black pop-up at the bottom of my screen for good , I would be happy...As you can tell I'm not that computer literate yet............Thanks again.Ray :thumbs:

Nick

Your not going to brush hog like a farm tractor but several companies build pull behind rough cut mowers. You could also build one if you can find a mower and an engine that could handle the load.

http://kunzeng.com/

http://www.swisherinc.com/trail_cutters.asp

http://www.agri-fab.com/products/45-0362.aspx

http://www.cyclecountry.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

http://www.theplotmaster.com/plotmower.html

Nick

Darn I missed one. :thumbs:

I also forgot to mention many Tractor Supply stores have the swisher rough cut mower in stock. Ive seen a few that had been around a while and were marked down for clearance sales.

Tractor supply mower link

C-Series14

Had an older Swisher 40" pull behind that I used alot. It worked great. Had to get use to it being back there in the beginning! Gave me a 84" cut. It "cut" my mowing time in half on the big yards!

Country Cadillac

:thumbs: For all the imput and suggestions, now all I have to do is try to find something in our price range.I did find a used 52" finish mower with a 12 horse briggs down the road in South Hero that hasn't been run in 4-5 yrs but doesn't look too bad and once I can get it out of the snowbank I'll be able to evaluate it a little better. Maybe I can modify it to give it a little more height for the back field...we'll see, old Bill probably won't want too much for it. And I've still got a lot of time to look around before I'll need one........so thanks again everyone..........Ray

dkopp

My dad made his own pull-behind brush hog years ago when he was clearing some overgrown land my parents acquired. He used and old Southland mower deck which was a single blade unit about 30" in diameter and made of cast aluminum. He cut off the front of the housing to open it up and put a large pulley on the spindle shaft. He then mounted a 2 HP (yes, only 2 HP) horizontal engine on it and added old tiller wheels and an offset hitch. He pulled this with his WH 607 and it worked great. It was not the fastest cutter but with the open front it would take down small saplings and take just about anything you threw at it.

Duff

Dang, Ray! We're practically neighbors! :thumbs:

Guess I didn't need to add the link to DR Power Equipment, since they're just down the road in Vergennes!

Best wishes,

Duff :whistle:

Country Cadillac

Hey Duff.... If your in west leb,, that would be up the road wouldn't it,,,,,, anyhow howdy neighbor.................Ray :thumbs:

d180man

Hi for the pto ebay or a club is the best to find one and some time you can buy a 2 tractor cheaper than what they get for them some times and there is a brushhog that was made years ago that would work but i cant think of the name right now it was 48in and there is flat mower that will work on them too! we just use our 60 rear mower! but good luck :thumbs: :whistle:

d180man

Hi ps if you do find a rear mower or brushhog it has to be a 2000 rpm not a 540 it will have to have a 1in 15 tooth drive shaft! :thumbs:

Country Cadillac

d180man... :thumbs: for your suggestions and info............Ray

Operator

Ray did you get the bid on the "D" from E-Bay the other nite?

Speaking of tow behind decks, I am building one from a frame from a 520H with a caster wheel in front and 8" wheels on back I'm starting with a 12HP B&S to run it, then I can use any of my Horse decks on the normal WH attach-a-matic hitch . Not completely done yet though.

Randy

Country Cadillac

Randy.......much nicer avatar...and no I did not get the tractor . By the way :thumbs::whistle: It sounds like a great project....Have a great day.Ray

Operator

After three days of trying to get my new avatar I'm holding off awhile on pictures I have to cool down awhile. It was bad. But yes I'll do them I normally take them on my projects. Right now working on independent hyd. rear lift on my C-160 W/ pictures. Thanks for the compliment on my new avatar :thumbs:

Too bad on the bid.

Randy