Sign in to follow this  
a.dumont

Starter Solenoid Location?

a.dumont

Just picked up a 1973 Auto 18. Battery, starter solenoid, and all wiring have been modified and replaced. Trying to go back to the original. I have a wiring schematic, but no images to show the location of where the solenoid mounts, etc. If anyone has a comparable model with a Kohler twin cylinder engine, please take some photos of your wiring harness, solenoid location, etc. and post below.

Edited by a.dumont

pacer

Sitting in the seat the solenoid is/was located mounted to the frame on the right side under the battery tray, if its not there you should see the 2 holes left from the original mount. From factory its HID behind a panel and its a nightmare to get to with out removing it. (as the years have gone by, I decided a while back to just leave that panel off!);)

• Like 1

Sarge

The gap on the right side behind the engine flywheel - on the frame as said . Yes , it's a real pain to locate it without those panels removed and it fits tightly against the panel itself . I've never found any good pics of how the wiring was routed through there , but I just re-did mine yesterday during re-assembly and I can get a pic of how I did it to protect the battery cables .

Sarge

a.dumont

Sarge,

I'd appreciate a few pictures of your rewiring. I may need to do more work to this than originally expected just to get it functional. Once everything works, I be doing a full overhaul.

Anglo Traction

This image is from Hodge71's (Jeff in PA) post in the Gallery section here. I believe the Solenoid location can be seen here?. Not familiar with the Model but clearly an advantage of having an up-to-date gallery of models/images. Hope this helps. 

post-1339-0-12838500-1390929035_thumb.jp

• Thanks 1

Sarge

Sorry - totally forgot to grab some pics when I was inspecting the pump hunting an oil leak - will get some shortly....

Sarge

Sarge

Here you go -

59da249393db8_20171007_1041071.jpg.9cb7b09d36a0a039b3d05a634e548861.jpg

59da245e0a6ce_20171007_1042071.jpg.616e810baec362277516fc1d2ec7a49e.jpg

59da24b76bbec_20171007_1042271.jpg.c1d38cbbd3b8faed4072ea0e27827535.jpg

Last pic is from the left side - facing the right frame rail just behind the engine . It's no real fun getting to that solenoid - easier to hook the battery cables to it first , them mount the unit to the frame . Make sure it's well grounded to the frame - otherwise the coil in it can't work to make the contact between the two main terminals .

As with so many of these tractors - this is not original . I have no idea nor can I find any good pics of how the wiring was originally routed . I just took the best path I could find to keep it away from the pump's directional linkage and all the brackets so any vibration wouldn't eat through a cable . I used Keps nuts to help with frame grounding and there is a ground wire running from one mounting bolt of the solenoid over to the mounting bolts on the rectifier and then up to the battery negative post . This prevents having to rely on metal to metal contact to complete the ground circuit on these things and any issues in the future . I too would love to see exactly how the original setup was routed - it's a tight spot due to how the pump is mounted in the tractor .

Sarge